Monday, October 09, 2006

Thoughts from my Mix CD

My Current Top Ten Favorite Lyrics from a Song:

Okay, this entry took me several weeks to draft and consider. There are several mix CD's in my car stereo, with songs that I listen to over and over again. (I tend to replay songs a gazillion times in a row for weeks and months) Some lyrics speak to me strongly and I just love relating to them, whether it is something that reflects my life or asks/answers a question about life. I invite you to continue this thread on your own blog or here in the comments and consider your favorite lines from a song....and why they speak to you.

1. Under Pressure -Queen/David Bowie
"This is our last dance, this is ourselves under pressure."
I just like this part of the song. I find it honest. I love the entire song, but this part is my favorite.

2. "A Thousand Miles" Vanessa Carlton
"Cause it's always times like these when I think of you and I wonder if you ever think of me. Cause everything's so wrong and I don't belong living in your precious memory."
I listened to this song a thousand times while driving to work full time last year and leaving Ian behind. And every single time, this verse made me cry.

3. California Dreamin' -The Mamas and the Papas
"If I didn't tell her, I could leave today..."
Sometimes you just want to go away, not forever. But not feel obligated or restrained. Just be free for a moment without permission.

4. My Father's Eyes-Eric Clapton
"And as I watch the seedling grow, feel my heart start to overflow. How do I find the words to say? What do I teach him? What do we play? Bit by bit, I've realized that's when I need them, that's when I need my father's eyes."
As a new parent, you constantly wonder what to do. How to find your way when your child changes day to day. We look to the people who have already walked the path for guidance.

5. Rocky Mountain High-John Denver
"He was born in the summer of his 27th year, coming home to a place he'd never been before."
Okay, first of all, I just love John Denver's voice. My uncle and I listened to him on many a road trip, but his words didn't mean all that much back then. I like this song because it is finally finding the place where you belong. I am longing for this feeling.

6. Sweet Surrender-Sarah MacLachlan
"You take me in, no questions asked. You strip away the ugliness that surrounds me. Are you an angel? Am I already that gone? I only hope that I won't disappoint you..."
I've spent a lifetime trying not to disappoint anyone. It's hard work. I finally found the person who accepts me for who I am and worked me out of being responsible for everything wrong in my life. He saved my life. And it's him I don't want to disappoint.

7. If Not Now-Tracy Chapman
"If not now, what then? We must live our lives always thinking, always feeling like the moment has arrived."
We can talk about the future forever. But talking really doesn't bring us anywhere or move us forward completely. It always feels like not now lately. It always feels like we wait for something to come to us. I am frustrated with waiting.

8. Language or the Kiss-Indigo Girls
"I stood outside and kept my eyes upon that empty chair. And there was steam on the windows from the kitchen, laughter like a language I once spoke with ease.
But I'm made mute by the virtue of decision and I choose most of your life goes on without me. "
This song speaks volumes to me, saying words I could never bring myself to say. Acknowledging pain and disappointment and how deeply we feel someone's absence.

9. Drive-Incubus
"Lately I'm beginning to find that when I drive myself, my light is found. "
Growing into my own person, finding that I can change what I am doing, no matter how difficult and that it is my decision in the end. And now, I am finally steering my career in the direction I've wanted to go for so very long. Of course, I'm only driving at 20mph, but eventually I'll get where I'm headed.

10. I Will- The Beatles
"Who knows how long I've loved you?
You know I love you still
Will I wait a lonely lifetime?
If you want me to, I will.

For if I ever saw you, I didn't catch your name
But it never really mattered, I will always feel the same
Love you forever and forever
Love you with all my heart
Love whenever we're together
Love you when we're apart
And when at last I find you
Your song will fill the air
Sing it loud so I can hear you
Make it easy to be near you
For the things you do endear you to me
Oh, you know, I will."

I played this song a million times driving to work while I was pregnant with Connor, Ian in the backseat. I would sit in the rocking chair with Ian on my lap, singing this song. He had heard a million times too. Now, Ian sings this song in his little voice, getting most of the words right and swelling my heart until it cannot fit into my body anymore.
The line "I didn't catch your name, but it never really mattered" always brings me to those two separate moments in the hospital, not knowing what our sons' names would be. We took two days with each boy to decide their names. But I loved before I saw them, before I knew their names or faces. This is the song that will be "the" song for my children. The one that evokes a million memories in its simplicity and one I hope they will sing and from it, find their own memories.

Now, there are so many songs out there. I could probably find my top hundred songs and still have more music to write about. This all started from me thinking about why I put certain songs or artists on my CD's. Why do we make CD's for others? (come you 80's mix tape people!) I hope that you will consider your own music and where it leads you. And again, the picture of Connor is strictly for cuteness purposes. Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not realizing the picture of Connor was for cuteness purposes only (I mean it's always for cuteness purposes, but you know what I mean), I thought you were doing a post from his perspective! It even made sense when you said "I tend to replay songs a gazillion times in a row for weeks and months", because we all remember E playing the song on that rainbow caterpillar toy thing over and over and over until the 4 of us were singing and whistling it too! Give me a few minutes and I can probably still come up with that tune :-)

Then I realized it was probably unlikely that C was listening to Queen/David Bowie this early on (there's still time, don't worry).

Linda, you really do have an amazing talent with this writing. Keep it up and one day you'll have a bestselling memoirs book!

We miss you guys! Hi to T for us, and tell C and E to 'keep it real'

Michelle Quinno said...

Excellent music choices!! There's only one I don't like, J.Denver. I LOVE the rest though!!

What a cute baby!!