Sunday, October 22, 2006

Way Down Yonder in the Pumpkin Patch


The pumpkin patch has become our first real tradition as a family. Part of that tradition is me becoming a bit neurotic about taking pictures of this event. Note the semi-matching shirts. Thinking composition, I chose blue shirts because I felt that color would be a good compliment to the orange pumpkins, add the matching hats, red socks, etc, etc.

Ian had a lot more fun this year (anyone recall the morose child from last year's pictures?). The activities included adding foam stickers to a pumpkin, a haystack maze, a playground, a hayride and a petting zoo. Let it be known that I am not a fan of petting zoos. If I had things my way, my boys would not be fans either. I have serious issues with the cleanliness of the animals in most petting zoos. It all goes back to being neurotic. Thankfully this year, nobody mentioned the animals so we skipped them entirely. Whew.


It was Connor's first official pumpkin patch visit (he was there last year too, unofficially). He really enjoyed sitting in the midst of the pumpkins, in fact it was really hard to get him to look up for a picture. (enter neurotic mom who wouldn' t quit until there was at least one decent photo with his face showing) The second picture reminds me of a certain percussionist. Like father, like son.


The nicest part of this year's pumpkin patch event was that my mother-in-law Sheila could join us. First of all, I am not sure who is more the queen bee photographer between the two of us.....she definitely is a shutterbug when it comes to these little boys. It was such a treat to have her visit us and share in some of the big and little moments in our family life. More on that in the next blog. (yes, Sheila, I will be blogging about you!)

I look forward to this tradition so much. I know my husband occasionally wants me to give the camera a rest and quit trying to make everything a picture.(unless he can be in it) I know that the boys may not remember the early pumpkin years. I know that it is just a simple activity. I know that I cannot miss it. I am just so glad that we have our pumpkin patch moment because it makes us all very happy. Isn't that the point?

4 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

He really is adorable!!! Glad you had fun!

Michelle Quinno said...

I should say THEY are adorable. I reread it and saw that your other one is in the photos too!!

Anonymous said...

Great photos!!! Matching shirts...hmmmm....I might have to borrow that idea! lol

Anonymous said...

The 2nd photo (Connor and Ian written on the pumpkins) reminds me of my favorite picture of Ian - the one of him in the bath, where you guys stuck the "I" "A" and "N" foam letters to his forehead. We have that one up in the house... it's priceless.