Thursday, August 02, 2007

My Budding Artist




With both of us heading back to work, I have been considering a routine for the boys that will help Ian learn more reading and letter skills and get Connor interested in wanting to read with us at all. So tonight, I figured Ian and I would practice drawing letters on the chalkboard. That went well, until Ian started -honestly- what I thought was just scribble scrabble. However, as he was reflecting on his work, he told me it was a kitty. I looked closely and thought "hmmm". Then he drew eyes and a mouth. And then I saw it. And I called for Tom and jumped for the camera. So, look closely at picture one and see if you see the kitty face. Connor also helped with the "fur".

This is the first time I have seen Ian draw an actual picture. So, he erased the board and we asked him to draw a face. He made a circle, two eyes, a mouth and a dot for a nose. Then he added a leg and two arms. Then he began adding many, many arms.

My friend Hilary is an art teacher and this blog entry is dedicated to her because she always encouraged Ian to draw and always helps me understand the art skills that he will develop. It is amazing how something like this can make you so excited!

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Maybe he's having toddler flashbacks to when he was a baby and Prescilla and Max would come up and sniff his nose!