One should not leave Halloween costumes until the last moment. See my SIL Terri's blog for an extreme case of costume desperation.
Anyway, Thomas thought it would be very cute to make Ian's race car driver costume by adding all the sponsors onto a jogging suit. Connor would be the pit crew worker-which I did find a sweatsuit with pit crew look-tools emblazoned on front and back.
So, we were at Target last night, wandering around, picking up Cars stickers, looking for a helmet for Ian. We picked up a motorcross outfit for the helmet. Ian decided to wear the whole store-bought jumpsuit, after T and I spent a good half-hour plastering their costumes with stickers last night. All in all, he looked very race-car after all. Plus, I didn't have to worry about the stickers over the course of the day at daycare, because we all know there wouldn't be any stickers left.
Connor, on the other hand, was the more challenging of the two. Why, you might ask. Simply because the child does not like to wear clothes. Specifically any clothes. I woke up and went in to find him completely disrobed this morning. No onesie. No diaper. He laughed at his misguided mother, who apparently thought onesies would keep some semblance of order. Now, I just think he is Houdini revisited.
So, I decided to dress him in a safari outfit (onesie underneath, as he likes to shuck the pants) for daycare and add the stickered pit crew outfit for the evening.
On a separate, related note, I would like to express my dismay for whoever is RUINING Halloween out there for Phoenix school kids. In my school district, we are not allowed to SAY Halloween, let alone dress up, sing Halloween songs, have treats-nothing. I said "Halloween" in class one day and the students admonished me for it. It was the most miserable way to teach in October, having to shelf ALL of my fun Halloween songs in favor of pumpkin songs.
I realize not everyone celebrates Halloween-I have no problem with that. I realize that some find Halloween to be too scary or not aligned with their beliefs. Again-fine. I can work around that, but do we HAVE to subtract every bit of fun out of every single holiday to accommodate the small groups who apparently run our schools here? No wonder teachers are hard to come by. No wonder I don't want to put my kids in Arizona schools. No wonder they are at the bottom of the pile when it comes to education. Nobody has any fun learning or teaching anymore and Halloween ain't gonna be on our state tests, lest we fill our brains with something that we cannot answer using a multiple choice bubble. Good grief.

3 comments:
Great idea for costumes:)
wow getting out of a onesie, he is a little houdini!
I feel the same way about celebrating the holidays in school-the kids should have at least a couple days of fun. I remember in elementary school walking through the whole school in the parade of our costumes.
I found out a couple years ago that they don't bring in cupcakes for their birthdays anymore too- that was very disappointing news. We always sing to anyone who has a birthday in my class. And they are free to bring in cupcakes to celebrate:)
Yeah, I miss those finger-swiped cupcakes. I haven't gotten those since moving to AZ!
Oh good grief! What holiday are they going to try to rename, redo, remove next anyway?
Post a Comment