It's funny how a year goes by in the blink of an eye. Here we are on April 6, 2006, the last few moments of being just a family of three. Anxious to end the waiting and meet our new little boy. We didn't know his name or what he looked like. We didn't know what was to come.After weeks and weeks of uncomfortable sleep, I finally scheduled a time to go in and get the baby show on the road. Thomas got settled on a cot and I was hooked up to all kinds of fun IV's. At 4am, they administered Pitocin. I was not really having any contractions and by 6am, I was getting a little nervous that nothing was happening. However at 7am, I felt like I bought a ticket on a rollercoaster ride. The contractions went from tame to furious in what seemed like seconds. I remember fighting to maintain control and focus. I remember Thomas asking the epidural lady a bunch of questions, which she leisurely answered. I remember wanting to strangle someone but I was not even able to speak. It felt like I could not come up for air. And then at 8:08am, we became a family of four.
He looked like a miniature Yoda, a scrunchy little face and skin mottled and reddish. The nurse announced his weight at 9lbs, 4oz and I am fairly certain my eyeballs popped out of my head. Another bruiser, this time with a mohawk.
Thomas lobbied for the name Connor and (I'm sorry, Connor!) I really wasn't a fan of the name. I had a Connor in every single class at school. But, I didn't have any names to counter with and I was too tired to argue. And now, he is just a Connor. Baby C. Little C. Chunky Monk. Cuteness. Sweetness. Babyness. Baby Connor. Connor J.
His appearance has really dramatically changed over the year. For many weeks, he had deep red skin with a big shock of black hair on top of his head. Gradually, he faded into his translucent Irish skin and his hair took on shades of brown, blond and red and the dark hair disappeared. The mohawk is still there although it does comb down. His eyes are a brownish-green, but they never turned chocolate like Ian's.
He is a light sleeper, he is fearless and he is funny. He says hi and waves. He gives high fives. He laughs with a scratchy Porky Pig inflection. He wants fairness in his life, in other words, if Ian has something, Connor should have it too. He is starting to thin out a bit and lose the baby chunk. He is playing with cars and looking at books. He covers his eyes and plays peekaboo.
He is becoming a little boy. I remember when Terri finally had to tell me that Ian wasn't a baby any longer. I wanted to cry. And I see the end of babyhood in sight. It's coming, like a train thundering down the track.
So tomorrow, our little C turns one. I love the parents who says, "Before you know it, he'll be 20." Don't tell me that yet. We still have some time, as long as we stay conscious about it.
1 comment:
I can't believe its been a year! Connor is awesome. You are a great Mom Linda!
Post a Comment