When I thought we had exhausted all the possibilities of preschool, one came about this week that I didn't consider. My mid-afternoon school teachers were both willing and able to push back their music time on Monday and Tuesday by fifteen minutes. Because I am finished at my first school fairly early, I will have time to go pick up Ian at preschool, pick up Connor at preschool and bring them to our regular daycare...which is close to Connor's school and on the way to the mid-afternoon school. So, instead of paying an exorbitant preschool, the boys can remain in their regular in-home daycare for the afternoons. With that, I can send Ian to preschool in the mornings for two days a week. However, I am going to research a few more options for preschools close to Connor's school to see if I might be able to find one of the public community preschools instead. So, we are still going to pay about $50-75 dollars more than we do now, but it should work out better. The nice thing is that once I am done after school, we can come home and relax-I can actually cook a decent dinner and maybe take the kids to the park after school.
Yesterday, I attended one of our music teacher meetings (I will admit that I didn't go to any this year due to Connor's appointments) and enjoyed learning some choral techniques. I haven't taught elementary chorus in several years and have to say that I almost don't miss it. Almost.
Anyway, the February meeting will center on special education music, as requested at the beginning of the year by the music teachers. The teacher-in-charge has asked me to lead the meeting and discuss some of the aspects of autism, sensory disorders and how to structure a class for multiple disabilities, for kids who are unable to speak and some songs and activities. I love working with my special ed kids.
Another thing that I have discussed with the martial arts instructor is the possibility of renting or donating his space once or twice a month for a community-based music class for special needs kids and allowing it to be donation-based to see how much interest is there. He said he would be happy to work with me on a plan for using the space. I have so much to do for chorale this month and next month, but I am thinking if I can formulate a plan and implement it in March or April.
On a different note, Ian has started soccer again this year. He was in soccer back when he was three and while he enjoyed the practices, the games were a little overwhelming. He is pretty shy in bigger crowds of kids and kids running amuck wasn't really his thing.
Thomas really wanted to see him try again, even though Ian is also enjoying his martial arts. So, he brought Ian to a practice with a team who meets at the nearby park. Thomas eased him into playing with the other kids and he eventually played. He also attended and participated in the first game on Saturday and was goalie for part of the game. I went along to practice tonight to see and he was having a lot of fun and the boys all greeted him as he walked up. Tom can explain the photos better than I can, since he took them all.



Connor will probably be starting in the fall....he was ready to join the practice tonight! I think Tom will have his true soccer buddy in Connor-once Connor is following directions better, I think it will be fun to see him play.
FEELING SNACKY-trying to eat well this week. I stocked up on some blueberries, strawberries and grapes (Connor has eaten most of them) and also some brown rice (Terri's favorite), broccoli and some cheese. I also made some breakfast burritos this weekend with multigrain tortillas, eggs, salsa, cheese and fresh veggies. We had them both Saturday and Sunday. This week, I am working on eating plain oatmeal with blueberries or peaches and some agave syrup for sweeteners. We are also drinking more tea and I stopped drinking soda and coffee (coffee I will reserve for hangouts with my friends!) and it really helped me feel better. Finally, I am trying to get into bed by 10:30 or 11:00pm and wake up at 6:30am. That is working so far. Just need to include more cardio exercise, which hopefully will happen more now that I will have afternoons at home. I can bike the kids to the park and we have been biking a little on the weekends. Yoga has been great too, but I haven't been able to get to class really since November. But we are working on our guest room-and hoping to turn the space into a good spot for me to do yoga uninterrupted.
Perhaps I should change the name of my blog to Ramble On. Okay, I'll stop now!
5 comments:
Your schedule and the logistics of the whole thing makes my head spin. God bless you.
I'm so glad you found a better option! I hope that works out for you.
As for soccer, Ian sounds a bit like my oldest son, sweet and shy. He played soccer but he didn't do so well. He had a hard time taking the ball away from the other kids! He was such a little gentleman and thought he had to wait his turn. Maybe it's not for him but maybe he'll love it. My oldest did Tai Kwon Do.
My youngest was a little devil and loved to run around. He was constantly running on the field while the team was playing. It wasn't easy! We signed him up as soon as he was old enough.
LOVE brown rice but I don't think I could eat plain oatmeal. I'm a Splenda kind of girl. ;-)
Ramble on, Linda - that's what blogs are for ;)
Also, I meant to ask you yesterday if you had lost weight? You look leaner to me.
I love a good ramble :)
adore the photos of Ninja Soccer Star!
and you sound hopeful about these latest arrangements!
Hey Rambler, well it had to happen eventually I guess that Thomas had an effect on you :)
So nice of your fellow teachers to help you out- love hearing the good in people.
Post a Comment