I always figured I would try to take the high road as a parent and not discuss things like diaper issues. But you find yourself not only discussing bodily functions, but unable to stop yourself, especially in the company of other mothers.
Connor has surprised me in the last week or so. I honestly figured that he would take a long time to show interest in potty training and that it would be difficult because he doesn't always seem to follow directions. Connor basically has his own agenda, as do many two-year-olds. About two weeks ago, before his bath, I asked if he wanted to sit on the potty-figuring that he wouldn't. But he climbed up and sat for a count of ten before hopping down. No actual potty action and I didn't expect that anyway. So, before bath time, he would request to sit on the potty ("I potty?") and would sit, swinging his legs and smiling away with not a clue why he was sitting there. I'd ask if he was done and he would insist, "No, I potty!" and continue to sit content like a little king on the throne.
This afternoon, I decided to pick up a pack of Cars pull-ups. He immediately wanted the package open and he proudly chose which pull-up (Lightning McQueen and Mater OR Lightning McQueen alone?? ) and we got him changed. I took the boys to karate and to dinner while Tom taught lessons at the house.
We got home and started getting the boys ready for bed. Connor got undressed and normally there is a bit of "free" running around the house before they get into pajamas. I asked Connor if he wanted to go potty and he said "YES!".
I follow him in and get him situated. He is sitting quietly, looking down and much quieter than usual. And just like that, there is actual potty action!! Of course, I make an enormous deal, which brings Tom running, Ian running and makes Connor first begin laughing and then, seeing that he has a sizable audience, gives an encore performance. "Try again!" he says.
Ian doesn't see what the big deal is and is rather unhappy about the potty enthusiasm his brother is receiving. Tom goes to get Connor a few chocolate chips as a celebratory treat.
"Why does he get chocolate chips?" Ian is incredulous that such a routine task as potty would bring reward. Tom explains that Connor is learning and we remind him that we did some M&M bribing when Ian was learning. Ian decides that maybe he needs to go potty too. They both score a few chocolate chips.
Believe me, I am realistic about this and I don't expect Connor to be at all consistent. But, he never ceases to amaze me.
Kindergarten Update: We have an interview/observation with one of the Montessori schools tomorrow morning. There is a spot for Ian and we are going to see if the environment might be better for him. More tomorrow!
Puppy Update: Our guests are enjoying the attention, especially the round of goodnight kisses from the boys. They are cozied up on the floor at the foot of the bed. All is well.
7 comments:
That's terrific. And even if it doesn't lead immediately to more successful trips to the potty, at least he is learning to sit there, and gradually (hopefully) he will begin to associate the time there with the actual functions. Here, we're still working with Maya to try to get her completely potty trained. Doing #2 is really an off and on thing. As yet, we haven't even begun to deal with this with Kurtis. The attention span just isn't there to sit on the potty at all yet. It will all come together -eventually. It's the waiting and working to get it to come together that is really difficult to cope with.
Peace.
Yea!! This is a very big deal!
As you say, it will take time, with relapses inevitable. But he has begun!
yeah for Connor!
Go CONNOR!!!
Dog(s)???
Yay, Connor is making great strides! I hope the potty action continues!!
The dogs are guests...they have gone home now that their humans have returned from Tampa and the SuperBowl.
Post a Comment