Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Wii Are Having Fun

I got a few photos of the boys playing Wii over the weekend. They seemed unaware that I was taking photos too, so their expressions are natural and not forced.

Connor isn't quite sure how to work some of the games, but we rented a Wall-E game for him, which he enjoys driving Wall-E around. We'll probably rent Cars for him to try.


Mr. Obsessive has really enjoyed his Wii time and in addition to playing the sports games, is playing Lego Batman(also rented). Once the conversations become too Wii-oriented, he loses the privilege to play. Today, he waited until I asked him about his games before discussing-which I am certain took great self-control.

Not too flattering (don't worry, I cropped much it as not to damage your poor eyes) but I have been playing too. I kept losing the tennis game, so I spent extra time playing to figure it out. Still not winning though.

Puzzle Table Progress: Tom is building my puzzle table RIGHT NOW! I researched puzzle tables for a few months but our house is tiny and nothing seemed to really fit. Tom got plywood last night and cut it down twice for me to a decent size. I got the felt and the foam core for it last night too. He is busy adhering the foam core, stapling the felt and then he is going to brace it onto our smaller folding table. That way, we can remove the puzzle top and use the smaller table and when we use the puzzle table, it will not be too tippy.

You know how Ian is Wii-obsessed.....he gets it from me. Well, both of us. I love, love, love jigsaw puzzles. My grandmother always had a jigsaw puzzle going when I was a kid. I can sit for hours and work on a puzzle. I am really happy that Tom is taking his time-even when he started school today-to finish the table. He is a really good guy.


High school music update--quite a bunch! My second group of only four was semi-impressed with instruments. When I played "The Twist" on my iPod, they sprang to life....one girl who was crunched over in her wheelchair sat up tall and was moving so much. She kept grabbing me with very scratchy hands, trying to keep me dancing with her. Today, my first group was really excited to play instruments and actually told me, "It's drum time now!" "It's guitar time now!" I really have to step up the guitar playing and I have to get some good music for them to move and dance. One girl, who is the one who can recite lyrics to almost all the songs, actually shut down and refused to move once music was over. She was disappointed and didn't want us to stop.


I know I was worried about teaching this age group. But I think things fall into my lap for a reason.


I am definitely having a lot of fun.

5 comments:

julie said...

Those are great photos :D

I'm glad progress is going well on the puzzle table - I can't wait to see it this weekend! I'm also glad your high school class is going so well - what a wonderful experience.

Thomas said...

Puzzle Table Progress: The puzzle table is on hold pending a fifth trip to Home Depot... How could a simple plywood puzzle table take that many trips back to Home Depot you ask? Here is the run down!

Tuesday 4:37pm.
Went with the boys to Home Depot and bought the plywood, wood for braces, screws and saw-horses.

Tuesday 7:07pm
Went back to get plywood cut to 3x5 feet after Linda and I decided it was too big.

Wednesday 5:08pm
Stopped on the way home from work to get spay-on adhesive for the foam board. Returned the now way too big saw-horses.

Wednesday 7:30-8:30
Worked for an hour or so sanding and attaching stuff. Linda graciously goes to HD and gets shorter staples for the staple gun.

Wednesday 8:47pm
Linda gets back. I had cut the braces to match the length of the table and attached them on the bottom of the plywood. As I flipped the table over to proudly show her my work, they popped right off! The screws I bought were all too short. The extras I had in my workbench were too long and punched through the other side. Project on hold. Linda proclaims "I was just there!".

Wednesday 9:17pm
I promised Linda that I would finish tonight so I really felt bad when I realized it had to be put it on hold until tomorrow. No Murphy Project is worth doing without at least five trips to Home Depot.

julie said...

:D

Hm. It dawns on me now that if I had actually drawn out some directions (such as "check the length of the screws against the thickness of the board and the braces") I probably could have saved you a little trouble. Sorry about that! But it will be awesome when you're done, and it is awesome that you're willing to put it all together.

Michelle Quinno said...

Great photos! Love the concentration! It sounds like so much fun.

Hope your puzzle table is finished soon! What a nice hubby you have.

Theresa said...

wow the puzzle board seems harder than the sink project which only required 4 trips to HD.

Sounds like you are the perfect teacher for the HS kids- I am sure both you and the students will learn a lot, and that it will be a rewarding experience for all!