Monday, February 09, 2009

At Our Wit's End

Connor has come a long way and I think we can all agree. But, this child persists in wandering out of his room at least 8-10 times each evening after his 7:30pm bedtime. He is put back every time and I am not sure if he doesn't get that it is time to stay in bed or if he just doesn't sense our mounting frustration. Neither Tom or I will allow him to stay up with us just because he is awake and cannot sleep. We are both firm on bedtime and we both really, really need that time off from 7:30pm to do work or just relax.

I have a feeling that his naps are at a point where they need to be curtailed or stopped altogether. Unfortunately, I do not see that happening unless we are home with them, since they go to daycare with all of the rest of the children who are expected to nap.

Ian usually comes out with Connor, as the Informer, as Bill Cosby would say. Connor will come out, followed by Ian who is explaining that Connor is being too loud and not going to sleep. Well, our righteous brother does get it, so I quashed that informer bit with the classic Lego removal move. And I actually took away the Lego Pirate set this morning due to a serious procrastination on his part. He gets that we mean it, but Connor could either care less or just doesn't seem to get it. Or we haven't found the way to get him to get it.

Ian came into our room last night because he was chilly-which their room is drafty. In the car this afternoon, he told me that we need to find someone who wants his bed because he cannot sleep there anymore. Tonight he told us that he had buggies in his throat-indicating that perhaps he is not feeling well.

Practicing yoga breaths.......calm is on the way. Boys are finally asleep.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

The two of you do REALLY need that time together once the kids are in. It's a tough problem.

My daughter is complaining that, by the time they get that time together, she is too tired to enjoy it and falls asleep herself.

Michelle Quinno said...

Oh, you poor thing! It must be exhausting.

Love the adorable photo!

Ok, deep cleansing breath....

Anonymous said...

I think Connor is demonstrating the terrible two's, so hang in there this too will pass. Just keeping putting him back and it will end. Hang in there!!!!! DEEP BREATHING WORKS

Theresa said...

Hang in there :)
hope you get your peaceful night-times soon!

Dianne said...

My son didn't sleep poperly for years and years - and it is frustrating and exhausting

each night there was a new reason - one time he told me his bed was haunted!! another time he said the pillows were choking him yet when I took the pillows away he said his head hurt

it's so important to be consistent - and I know you are

all I can offer is hugs