Friday, February 20, 2009

Crochet for Dummies

Crocheting is a full-out or nothing at all craft for me. My mother-in-law, Sheila is a crochet queen and taught me-a crazy southpaw-to crochet right-handed. I did a million blankets years ago and then stopped cold turkey.

A year or so ago, my friend Cindy taught herself to crochet, which is not surprising, given her gift in all areas crafty and culinary. She convinced me to pick up crocheting once again, which I did for a bit. Then, I apparently gave her all of my yarn when it started to sit around unused because I was uninspired.

For whatever reason, and I really cannot pin down why, I decided that I was going to make a coin purse-crocheted AND felted. I spent a good portion of my morning at various craft stores looking at yarn and patterns, not buying anything. Then, I scoured the internet for free patterns (because I wasn't going to spend money on the expensive crochet books when I could find it for free) and found a cute purse. Then I went back to the craft store to obsess on what color yarn I should buy and if I should do multi-colored or solid and that's when Ian decided he wanted to make a hat.

I crocheted the rectangle of single crochet (not hard at all!) for the little purse and then did Ian's hat. I wanted to turn up the brim on it, so I made it a little longer for that reason. Ian wasn't home when I finished, so Connor become my model.

Ian decided he would rather wear it hoodlum-style, low on the eyes and no brim at all. He also wanted a pom pom, then he didn't. Now he wants a "dot" on top. I am not sure what that even means.

Connor got a hat of his own the next night-his with a pom-pom. He called it a "spider" and has already worn it to school.

This is my yet-to-be-pressed felted purse. The sewing part isn't so fantastic, because I don't own a sewing machine that I can operate and I just wanted to finish it anyway. I added a shell button on it. I'll probably get around to ironing the top this weekend.

I am not certain what my next project is. But I know what it WON'T be.

Check out the sc2Toggers blog for that.

4 comments:

Dianne said...

I love their faces :)

my Nana tried to teach me to crochet so many times - I'm hopeless

Unknown said...

Hey, you've brought back memories! I had a knit cap with a "ball on top". I love it.."For reasons I cannot pin down"...I was almost on the floor laughing!!! :D)

Theresa said...

cool had I like the spider on top of Connors :)

Michelle Quinno said...

Very cute!! Love those faces! I learned to crochet beads on little baby socks. I used to do it while waiting for appts. or sitting at one of my boys games. I don't enjoy it any longer. My hands seem to hurt after a bit.