PE teachers unite.....and please save me!! The phrase "Never assume" has never rang truer.
First of all, here is the deal with me and PE.
1-I need to call it PE and not "Gym". Now, it is possibly a New York or East Coast thing, but every last one of my schools called this class "Gym". Time for gym class. I hate gym class. Let's skip gym class. You catch my drift.
I clearly recall the day when I was teaching in New York for a few years, we were in a staff meeting. The new gym teacher stood up and reprimanded us for calling gym class "Gym". It was PE or Physical Education and the "Gym" was where we did physical education activities. We looked at each other in complete surprise and pondered that for a bit. Then, in true NY fashion, we continued to call it Gym class, just like we always did.
Well, for the West Coast bunch, it IS called PE and not gym. No one knows what I am talking about when I say "gym". I tried to uphold my New Yorkness and keep calling it gym, but it didn't catch on here. So, I am really, really, REALLY trying to call my class PE. And that alone makes my brain hurt because I have to consciously think to say PE.
2-I don't like dressing down for PE. Now, who doesn't love wearing sneakers to work? Well, of course I do, but then again, I don't. I prefer sandals or flip flops. I hate wearing PE type shorts and PE shirts. I am wearing khaki Docker shorts instead and a t-shirt. My husband keeps saying I need a hat, but I refuse to go that far. Who knows why? All of my past GYM teachers look so unfeminine and I just don't want to be that way.
3-Sneakers vs "tennis shoes". I say sneakers. The kids say "tennis shoes". Being sweet and honest little kindergarteners, they immediately ask me "Mrs. Murphy, what are sneakers?" I point to my shoes. "Those are tennis shoes, Mrs. Murphy." Huh? Is this another East Coast language barrier? And so I add another term to my ever growing Gym, I mean PE lingo.
4-What age do they know how to walk in the same direction? Or know how to move without falling down or knocking ten others down in the process? Because it's definitely not the 5-6 year old group! The very first class I assumed. I assumed they would go the same way, they would automatically know how to stay in their own space. Remember the adage I wrote above...I now live it all PE day long. I explain every little thing in small directions and I demonstrate. It is better after three weeks, but I still have the little boys who pratfall whenever I blow the whistle. (what is this about and are Ian and Connor going to do this?)
5-Okay, I am getting exercise, but for an entire day? Does this means I am home free the rest of the days?
6-Is PE as bad as I thought? Hmmm. Yes, until someone finally gave me lesson plans that made sense. Yes, because I have to practice hula hooping before next week's lesson and I better know what I am doing and how to teach it! It is challenging me to think about something that doesn't come naturally to me. But I am surviving it and secretly enjoying it a bit more than I thought I would.
7-Not being PE qualified. I feel conflicted on this. If an unqualified teacher were doing music, I would be unhappy but supportive. This is how our PE teacher (the real one) feels. She likes me personally, but professionally it is hard for her to accept. I understand and even though I am following her lesson plans and asking her advice, she isn't completely comfortable with me and her PE kids. I feel inadequate but I also am willing to do the best I can.
Well, I am tired, it's been a long gym day and I need to kick off my sneakers and get some rest. Wait, let me rephrase that....long PE day and kicking off the tennis shoes. Sigh!
2 comments:
Hah! I'm laughing because I went through something similar when I moved from New England to Michigan and then to PA!!
I was saying elastics instead of rubber bands, carriage instead of cart (shopping), water bubbler instead of fountain, etc.!!
Stick with the gym...they'll get used to it! LOL
Yeah, it's definitely an east/west coast thing. Like how we call carbonated beverages soda, but in the midwest they call it 'pop'. Damn, I hate when people say 'pop'. In any context, actually. I don't know why. Oh well. A friend of mine in college used to call sneakers 'kicks'. That one threw me for a loop too. She was kind of solo in that terminology, so maybe it was just her :-)
Sorry for the rambling... I think I'm jetlagged, and I'm using the most bizarre, messed up German keyboard (I'm in Germany, by the way). They keyboard is the same as in the US, except for like 4 keys. Why would they do that? You're just asking for trouble. If i look at the keyboard I get all messed up, because the z is where the y should be, the shift key is only half sized, and there are some symbols I think are letters, but none that I've ever seen before where the "+" used to be. But because I'm a US user, the physical keyboard is wrong, but if I touch-type I'm ok. Ugh, sorry... rambling.
Anyway - YOU are right... gym, sneakers, and people learn to all walk in the same direction somewhere around the age of 57. Because they certainly don't do it out in public anywhere I've been recently.
Post a Comment