My boys have developed a solid routine when we arrive home in the afternoons. They both hop out of the car and go directly to the mailbox. When Ian was little in the pre-Connor days, he would hop out of the car and say "Check the mail!" He still loves it. For awhile, Connor wasn't interested in the mailbox, but now he enjoys opening the door and shouting "MAIL!!" Of course, there is some bickering over the opening of the mailbox door, but what else is new?
Yesterday, Ian AND Connor both got Valentine's Day cards from Aunt Terri and Uncle Mike. The excitement was off the charts. Ian loved his frog card and got 4 quarters from Terri, which he immediately put into his savings/spending. (he has a cool electronic bank for his savings and a frog wallet for spending money and he divides his earnings in half)
Connor wasn't sure what to do with his card, but once I showed him how to open the envelope, he was set. His card was a monkey, which he cried, "Wook! Monkey!" He enjoyed looking at it several times over the evening. (Terri, did you know they were doing an animal unit at school? Perfect choice! Oh, and those beloved monkey pajamas..)
I have encouraged Ian to begin writing letters and sending some of his school projects to family. He enjoys writing the letters (don't worry, Grandmas, there is a letter coming to a mailbox near you soon!) and we choose a project that he has worked on in school-one goes on the fridge and we send one or two if they are not too bulky. He also wrote his Valentine cards out last night, which he replied, "Why do I have to write my name so many times?"
Today, I did a little valentine shopping and picked up a craft for the Valentine party at daycare tomorrow (opted for that over sugary treats) and then I got the boys one small M&M heart and a few small toys. Connor will get a small Lightning McQueen car with a cool little book showing all of the cars (feeding the obsession, I know) and Ian will get a small Lego Pirate set to complement the ones from Julie. We'll probably frost some cookies on Saturday and make heart pancakes, but I am really trying to keep it a low-sugar event. Ian had a frosted cookie at preschool today and was a total maniac and incessantly blabbing for a good half hour in the car.
Anyway, thanks to all of our family and friends who are sending the boys mail. Simple things to make little boys very happy.
5 comments:
Is there any joy greater than that of a child who gets mail? I try to send it to my grandson frequently. He also enjoys email very much. I send animated cards to him.
That's so cute. I'll have to tell Bobby. I'm sure he'd love to have Ian and Connor as pen pals!
Oh no, now I feel bad! I put one in the mail for Ian, not Connor. I didn't think he was interested in the mail. Oh well...next time.
Happy Valentine's Day!
glad the boys enjoyed the cards, although I thought Ian's was a dinosaur (spelling?) - guess I will need to go to the animal unit at the school:)
Hope you and Tommy got a few minutes for yourselves yesterday.
yay!! they're bringing real mail back ;)
hope you all had a sweet Valentine Day
Post a Comment