Friday, September 28, 2007

Friday's Feast




Appetizer
How are you today?

I am happy because I am officially on a two-week break! I am considering my projects, my new books to read (Borders with the educator discount-love it!) and projects to do with Ian. So, I am happy.

Soup
Name 3 television shows you watch on a regular basis.

Okay, I love Stephen Colbert. I love Lost, which is on in February and I cannot discuss that without unresolved anger. I am trying to watch Heroes first season and I am starting episode 4. I also happen to see Backyardigans and Little Einsteins on a regular basis.

Salad
What’s the scariest weather situation you’ve experienced? (see above photos!)

We had a mini microburst back in Poughkeepsie several years ago. Chris happened to be staying at our apartment and at 2am, we had lost power and a furious windstorm rattled through. The three of us were closing the kitchen window when a tree fell on the back of the building at that moment. It came and went so quickly, but the damage was astounding. Several tenants were shining flashlights outside in the parking lot a few moments later and Tom and Chris went out to investigate, because a majority of the flashlights were congregating in one area. I was busy calling my mom and Dan and Stacy to see if they were okay. My mom said, "what are you, crazy, it's 2am, nothing is going on here!". The path of the microburst was extremely narrow and although she was just a few miles away, the storm missed her area completely.

Back to the parking lot. Several old trees were knocked completely over, roots sticking out. Our upstairs neighbor's car was crushed. That is the little purple car you see above. He calmly went inside, grabbed a beer, drank it and left the beer can on the trunk as a little memorial. My car was unscathed, but interestingly, my usual parking spot was taken that evening by some other car. I had complained vehemently at the time of park, but that car was flattened. Not just hit, flattened by a tree. That could have been my car.

My husband's car was nowhere to be found. His car was underneath one of the trees, obscured by the leaves and fallen wires. When the fire company arrived to deal with the wires, they did not believe there was a car under the tree until they physically looked to see it. The car was a total. Poor Tom, that was his streak of bad karma with the Ford Escorts. (of course, he was looking for a way to salvage the darn thing, if you know Thomas at all)

Some folks had houses and porches crushed. Some were trapped in their neighborhoods for a few days because of the trees. It was a very eerie occurance, one not easily forgotten.

Main Course

If you could wake up tomorrow morning in another country, where would you want to be?

Hmm, Italy?

Dessert
What do you usually wear to sleep?

Sometimes yoga pants and a tank shirt. Not always, but usually. Sometimes I skip the yoga pants.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

yeah your off for two weeks!! that will be so nice for you! but I didn't see the spider project listed.

I remember you telling me about that weather storm but I don't remember the pictures-yikes

I guess if you were to do weather incidents in arizona it would have to be you guys melting when your airconditioning went out in the middle of summer!

Have a great weekend!