my school district is making all of us take a 4-hour technology class (watch us jump the hoop!). Let's just say that four hours of analyzing test scores and statistics personally makes my brain shut down.
Secondly, not giving us a break in four hours--literally working and reading reports on subjects I don't teach for four hours non-stop, has put me in a foul mood.
On top of that, the instructors seem to have forgotten that these are children and not statistics. The entire push is to get them to improve scores, improve scores and that really helps your school!! And that's what it's all about!!
Here's why this is a big deal: MONEY. Students = dollar signs. Better test scores=more dollar signs. Taking this stupid class=dollar signs.
One teacher said that she cannot wait for next week after the state tests are done and she can "teach the things that I really want to teach." I think that statement is a sad and true commentary on education out here.
Blurg.
3 comments:
Oh man! Just the mere mention of the word "Statistics" makes my brain shut down! The only class I had in college that I hated as much -probably more to be really honest -than Stats was Economics of the Micro variety. Well, maybe I hated Econ and Stats equally. Whatever. Just know I feel your pain.
That's horrible! I cannot believe they didn't give you a break. That's ridiculous!
It sounds like our MCAS tests. There's nothing like having to teach to a test. (rolling eyes)Let's just create little soldiers.
Hope your week ends better and you have a great weekend.
soon we will be a society of robots- don't get me started!
Post a Comment