Last Saturday, the Murphy and Vilbig families met for a trip to visit the Museum of Natural History, pairing second generation buddies Ian and Bobby. Here, the boys enjoy the subway ride with Grandma Sheila-Bobby watching out the window and Ian who seemed to be lulled into a sleepy quietness by the traveling.
On our second subway connection, we were treated to some musical entertainment. The boys both seemed surprised by this. Grandma Sheila gave them each a dollar to tip the musicians-which gave them pause for a moment.....you mean you're giving us a dollar to give to someone else?? But they happily tipped and the musicians went on their way.Once we got into Manhattan, the boys needed a rest and Christina suggested eating before arriving at the museum. (these Vilbigs are loaded with good parenting ideas!) We stopped at an Irish brewery where we could sit upstairs and allow the boys some downtime.
Good parenting tip # 2 from the Vilbigs: Take all or most of the french fries off of the kid's plate before it is given to them. Ingenius. So, Bobby proceeded to eat all of his chicken, while my son, with a plate overflowing with french fries, ate mostly fries.It did bring my favorite quote of the day though, from Bobby to Ian. Eyeing Ian's fries, he used his best friendship charms to snag a fry.....
"Ian, you know, sharing is caring!"
Grandpa helped carry a weary Ian through the streets toward the museum.
Here is a photo I actually took after visiting the museum, but I think it is a good intro photo for the visit.
We began with the planetarium show called Cosmic Connections about asteroids hitting the earth. I think Grandpa took a good solid nap, Aunt Soooz kept sneaking glances at Ian, Bobby was waiting for the dinosaurs to appear and Ian was riveted by the entire show. I was going to take a nap, but I figured I'd better pay attention since Ian was completely engrossed and I figured questions would be coming.We also checked out an IMAX dinosaur movie-I'll admit, not my favorite, but this time, Bobby really enjoyed the show. Ian sat on my lap and was a bit skeptical, but he paid close attention. He did not suffer any cracked ribs while being squeezed by Mommy during the dinosaur fights.
Grandpa and Grandma both got a good power nap in during this show as well.
Following the movies, we went to the Hall of Dinosaurs to view the exhibits there. Grandma Sheila was glowing in this photo-she enjoyed seeing Ian's curiosity. I even let Christina snap a few photos of me too! Imagine that!
The blue whale. Anyone who has been to the Museum of Natural History knows the whale. You cannot go to the museum without a visit to the whale. My father-in-law told us he used to hang out in the museum as a kid and the whale was there. Grandpa and Grandma took Ian down to the ground floor to look up at the whale. I hope it makes the impression on Ian that it has made for all of us.Our question was how the heck do they get that whale to stay on the ceiling? We looked for cables and unless they were super invisible, it was impossible to see how he is attached. I think Grandma asked Ian how the whale got up there and she could probably relay his comments better than I can, but I think it involves "a million workers." Grandma, can you elaborate?
We didn't see too much more besides the gift shop. Grandma picked up a few trinkets for the boys, including a bag of magnets which Ian has been delighted to play with here at home.I think on our return visit, I'd love to take Ian back through the space exhibits and spend more time there. And no, I didn't get to meet Neil deGrasse Tyson, but you know I was keeping my eye out just in case! If anyone has an in, let me know!
Mommy and Ian after our day at the museum. I have to send a shout out to Suz's friends who gave us the museum tickets-thank you, thank you!
4 comments:
What a great trip! And some wonderful photos to remember it by.
Yes Grandma Sheila was beaming with happiness. What a fun day- glad the V's could come too!
The best part of the day was all being together. It was really special being with you and Ian.
Wonderful photos! I'm so glad you had a great time.
Post a Comment