This photo is for Uncle Jeff and Aunt Soooz. Because before we left for New York, Ian would not touch a vegetable. After eating mashed potatoes, baby carrots and assorted good foods, this very same child-the one that would negotiate how many bites of vegetables were required to make his parents happy-actually ate baby carrots AND this cucumber of his own volition before being prompted to try them. I placed a peeled cucumber on his dinner plate, expecting the worst. He ate the cucumber, declaring "This is the best apple I've ever eaten!" The carrots were "super awesome!" Of course, Connor has turned the eating table, refusing to eat in favor of horsing around, because we cannot have everyone be completely agreeable at the same time.
So, you might recall that the week before leaving for New York, I decide to use my vacation to repaint the office, move out all of the boys furniture and all. We moved the boys into the newly painted office (yes, it is taupe and green trim-a little ho hum for my more colorful sister-in-laws) and I sold Ian's captain bed and will be selling Connor's crib and dresser this weekend. Meaning, I created no place for them to actually sleep. Here, Connor naps on the couch, with the Lightning McQueen from Aunt Kristen and Uncle Chris strapped on his back like a backpack. And below Connor is sleeping on the mattresses on the floor. This floor arrangement appealed to the boys for obvious reasons-jumping on the mattresses equals a lot of fun. Tom took this photo and he told me that he even camped out on Ian's mattress a few times.
This past weekend, Tom and I (but mostly Tom) put together brand-new bunkbeds for the boys. The beds do separate and we did read the warning that only 6 year old kids should have bunkbeds. We thought about that one for awhile and thought about Ian and how he operates. We thought he would be okay and we did lay out the rules and how any stunts would mean he would not have a bed to sleep in and the bunkbeds would be separated. Connor is more of the question mark, as he does enjoy climbing up and he is a bit more precarious on the way down. We have to discourage him from carrying cars up and down , so he can use his hands to hold on. We figured we can always separate the beds if he doesn't listen.
I put the boys' bookcase across from the beds and then we don't have a dresser for them yet, so their clothes are under the bed. The toys are in the closet and we had room to put Ian's table (now a chess table) and the beanbags for a reading corner. They spent most of their evening in there playing Jenga, making space forts on Connor's lower bunk with blankets and couch pillows and we read books in there now. It needs some more lighting and shelves, which will go up this weekend.
It looks like a real boys room instead a baby room!
7 comments:
Those bunk beds look great! And congrats on getting Ian to eat vegetables :D
The boys are going to love that room!
Nice bunks! The boys are growing up!
Yay on the apples for Ian! ;-)
Would you believe after 19 yrs. I finally got my son to eat veggies via an appetizer?! He just loves my spinach squares (along with the rest of his older cousins so maybe that's why he tried them). Now I have to keep a stash in the freezer. He sometimes makes a meal out of them. LOL
Cool new room!
fun new room!
I am so impressed with the veggie eater! I'm not sure Jeff and I had much to do with it other than walking Ian all over NYC and working up his appetite. I was also impressed with his compliments on my cooking - that was adorable and also funny to anyone who knows my cooking skills.
Love the pic of Connor with his Lightening McQueen backpack/pillow. So CUTE! And love the room. Nice job. xoxoxox
Oh.... just had a thought. You might also have some luck with squash and mashed sweet potatoes. Spaghetti squash in particular is easy to make, tasty, and... well, looks like spaghetti. Usually a pretty good hit with the kiddie crowd.
Post a Comment