Friday, March 20, 2009

New York in the Blood

Ian and I traveled to New York City last week to visit Super Aunt Soooz and Crazy Uncle Jeff for a few days. Arriving in the morning, we spent some time relaxing at Aunt Soooz's apartment before heading out for Ian's first trip on the subway into Manhattan. Here, he is on the lean, mean streets of Queens.

The subway proved more challenging for Mommy than Ian. Ian rides free, but Mommy needed a few lessons in how to correctly swipe the Metro Card. Ian rode like he has traveled by subway for his entire life. A few times, he even stood up and held the pole. He tried to balance without holding on, but it wasn't advisable.

Arriving at Aunt Soooz's workplace, Ian enjoyed the elevator ride and was promptly greeted by adoring fans...meaning Suz's co-workers. He was immediately given chocolate candy and shook hands with several people. We toured the office and Ian picked up lots of compliments, a gift of coloring book and crayons and amidst the sugar rush, was walked to a conference room filled with Star Wars balloons, streamers and gifts-all for him. Here, we spent a good amount of time watching Ian do lightsaber demonstrations rather enthusiastically followed by attempts to blow up latex balloons which probably filled up with a good amount of spit.

Here, Ian keeps the workplace safe.

We walked with our Overconfident Navigator to Starbucks, where Ian sucked down a hot chocolate in record time, followed by a trip to a computer store. While Aunt Soooz was busy in the store, we sat on the bench in the front of the store, where Ian promptly fell sound asleep. The options were to carry a sleeping child on two subways or get a taxi.

Ian took his first cab ride and woke up for a few moments to see if "this taxi driver is going to drive crazy!" Aunt Soooz said he was driving pretty well and Ian responded with "Well, I want him to drive crazy!" That received a smiling glance from the cab driver. He then fell asleep, with a goldfish snack in his mouth and proceeded to sleep for the rest of the evening, waking up around 11pm and falling back to sleep off his jetlag. Giving Aunt Sooz, Uncle Jeff and I the chance to have a nice quiet dinner and a glass or two of wine as well.

4 comments:

Raven said...

Sounds like you're having fun. Nice time of year to be in New York too, though a bit chilly for Arizonans, I guess.

Anonymous said...

I loved the pictures and I loved being with you and Ian. I'm looking forward to doing it again this summer. Ian is differently a New Yorker at heart.

Jeni said...

When you got down to the cab ride, I was thinking you were going to announce you'd lucked out and landed a ride in the "Cash Cab." Looks and sounds to me like you and Ian have been having a fantastic time, a really great and memorable vacation!

Theresa said...

Love the s-ubway shot of Ian and Suz, I am so glad you had so much fun:) And you an Ian had this special trip together.