Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Uncle Cheffrey's Competition

Nothing says gourmet like peanut butter and low sugar jelly on saltine crackers. I discovered these awhile back when we were out of bread and I need a lunch for the boys. I allowed Ian to create his own peanut butter and jelly "sandwiches" on the saltines, using a butter knife and spoon. He not only made himself lunch, but also made some for his brother. The cleanup detail was a bit stickier than usual, but Ian really enjoyed the independence.

Now a weekend lunch staple, Connor decided that he was also old enough to create his own saltine sandwich, which consisted of peanut butter, raisins and the main ingredient of jelly.

He sat very quietly working on his sandwiches and also created quite a mess.


I sometimes forget that they can do a lot more than I think. And catering to their independence within some boundaries has created some very happy and empowered little boys.

By the way, I am a little torn on the natural peanut butter-just peanuts and salt. I love it mixed with Carb Smart ice pops (thanks, Michelle) and on celery, but it isn't as mentally yummy as sugar-laden peanut butter.

2 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

hehe, they are so cute! Love that first photo of Connor, so intent on making the sandwich.

You could sprinkle a little tiny bit of Splenda on it? Skippy makes a natural pb that's pretty good. It does have sugar but not much.

Raven said...

It's so wonderful that you are letting them do for themselves. My mother was never very good at that (she was in fact incapable of it) and I paid a price, I think. It's not always easy to hold back from doing for someone. When my mother was old and sick, my father was both impatient and afraid to let her do things. I was able on visits to sit with her and help her do things that had once been second nature. It took forever but it let her feel useful and seemed to me to be with it. You're such a good parent. I always enjoy reading about you and your kids.