We are pool-sitting this week and next.....which given our temperatures, the pool is very, very cool.
Tom and I took the boys over yesterday morning. Ian usually perches on the pool steps, directing traffic and reluctant to venture beyond his comfort level. He does wear a flotation getup, that basically covers his mid-section, but leaves his arms and legs free.
We did our best to coax him into the water and a few times he would hang on to me or Tom for a short bit. I even resorted to some bribery of getting him to jump out to me. (video game time-at first, I tried money, but he responded to video games. Shocking.) He jumped a few times and then we left him alone.
And once we left him alone, as Tom said, he finally got brave enough to get into the water and actually swim. He began by spider-crawling along the wall with Connor, followed by going across the shallow end of the pool side to side.
Today when I got home from work, I rounded up the boys to go over to the pool again while Tom was working. Ian swam (yes, he had the floaties on, but I don't think he sat on the steps once.) and swam and an hour and a half later, I had to drag both of them from the pool. Connor has the same floaty device and he was happy to cling to me with a few breakaway moments of swimming. I had them jumping from the side to me and Connor finally figured out that he didn't really need me to swim. They had a grand time.
Of course, it wouldn't be complete without Ian's "games."
Ian: Mommy, we're going to play a game. It's going to be really hard to win. So, here's what you do. I'm the bad guy and you're the good guy. Good guys swim really, really slow (demonstrates) and bad guys can swim however they want. Most of the time, they swim fast. Got it?
Mommy: So, I am destined to lose this game, is that right?
Ian: No, Mommy. If you go slow and I beat you, I win. But if you go fast and I go slow, then I still win because good guys don't swim fast. Let's play!
Mommy: plays and loses game.
Later on....
Ian: Mommy, it's time for another game. This one is going to be awesome. Go stand over there and hold your arms out, put your head in the water and wait for me to tell you when to go.
Mommy: Uh, no.
Ian: Just do it.
Mommy: Yeah, I'm not interested in drowning while waiting for you.
Ian: Okaay. Just keep your head up then. Now, I am going to swim to you and count. Then Connor is going to swim to you and count. Whoever gets there first wins.
Mommy: You have a distinct advantage in that you are faster and I don't think Connor is paying any attention to this game. (Connor is busy drinking water from the pool fountain)
Ian: Connor, come here. Connor! Connor, come here.
Connor: No.
Ian: Yeess!
Connor: Uh, no.
Ian: Then I win.
Connor: Okay.
On and on with the games, but actually it was pretty fun. Connor had a bellyache afterward, but I think he drank quite a bit of pool water. That didn't stop him from enjoying his favorite snack of Smarties.
Hopefully we'll have more pool adventures tomorrow.
4 comments:
I love reading about your boys' adventures.
I never learned to swim myself. that's something I regret very much.
I don't swim either
you know you're going to have to get a pool ;)
I love Connor's carefree attitude of Ian winning :) very cute
Oooh, Dianne-I would LOVE a pool. Unfortunately my wallet doesn't overflow with money, so until then, we'll have to borrow pools. :)
Post a Comment