Thursday, July 24, 2008

Lego My Lego

Ian has been enjoying Lego sets "with directions!" this summer. He started with some small Star Wars spaceships and quickly moved up to some of the larger Lego sets. Here he works with Uncle Chris and Grandma Sheila on a new Lego creature.

One of the best quotes of the summer: "Uncle Chris, you're a frickin' genius!" Followed later by "I think I'd like a frickin' hot dog for lunch." (apparently someone must say frickin' in our house)

And here is boy genius with his K'nex. Grandma Sheila got him to build a vehicle over spaceships and blasters. He definitely has symmetrical design principles down. Unfortunately, he is stuck now with his mother (me!) who doesn't have any spatial intelligence and cannot put Legos together correctly. Lucky for me that Tom has boxes of old Legos and has been slowly bringing a well-timed new project out for Ian every other week or so.

At Target, Ian found a very cool Lego spaceship on clearance and spent some of his money to buy it. He spent a solid two and a half hours putting the entire ship together, with a bit of guidance from Tom and sticker assistance from me. Any four-year-old who can sit for over two hours on a project simply amazes me. That's my little visual-spatial son!

It is again a bittersweet week as I finally went back to work (sorry all non-teachers) this week for meetings. My actual schedule is (so far) nicely timed and I am mostly teaching Kindergarten and Special Education classes, along with some 3rd grade and maybe 2nd grade.

Tomorrow, we meet with the preschool/daycare to see if they will accept Connor all day and enroll Ian. If all works out, they will be attending this new school four days a week all day. They will get to be home with Tom for one day and possibly go to their old daycare on some Fridays. This new preschool has some wonderful things for the boys. Our OT went with us to check out the facility for Connor and liked it a lot. I'll post some photos tomorrow if we are able to sign in.

Other than that, it's off to work for me (meetings!) and getting schedules finalized and lesson planning done. Hard to believe the summer ends in July. But the up side is that I got so much time with my boys . All three of them.


6 comments:

Dianne said...

I love his pose with his spaceship! I have always been Lego challenged as well, hell - I had trouble with Lincoln Logs and my son would get so frustrated with me.

Then he'd hug me and say "It's OK, at least you can make pancakes"

You sound so excited about the job and the school - I'm thrilled for you and the boys - all 3 of them :)

Theresa said...

Yes I wonder who could of taught Ian the word fricken:) maybe Connor- since he does seem to get blame for mysteries like Thanksgiving '06.

I do hope the boys can get in the preschool- it sounds perfect for both of them!

Raven said...

Back to school in July seems unduly cruel, but sounds like life is good on the whole and I'm glad you got to have a good Arizona version of summer. The Lego's projects are very impressive. You have such a good healthy family.

Jeni said...

Hah! Those little words we use often do come back and bite us when there are small children around, don't they now? I got caught just last night as I repeated one of my favorite "expletives" and heard a voice echoing it right behind me! And my older daughter could not contain herself as she stood there, pointing at me and almost rolling on the floor laughing at how quickly Maya had parroted ONLY the bad word I had just said! Grammy needs a big "lip zipper."

Thomas said...

The lego thing has happend a full two years earlier than I expected. I have two more full boxes of legos (with directions) out in the garage for Ian to work on. I find the next piece he needs and he puts them together. Mommy does stickers. He has surprised me when he finished a few of the ships though. Instead of playing with said ship for hours on end, he almost immediately takes it apart and puts wants to put it back together again. Our little "figurer" is certainly having fun.


Oh and the word "frickin"... that was all me.

bobbie said...

Hard to see summer end sometimes, but you do sound happy anticipating the job. Sounds great.
Ian looks so proud of himself. I would be too, if I could do that.