Sunday, July 20, 2008

A Show of Ignorance

Thanks to Aunt Kathie for sending this my way. My opinion on blowhard talk radio host: An idiot, a ratings whore. Believe me, I can see a brat right over the airwaves and perhaps it is he who should be told to cut out the act, stop acting like a putz. Moron. -L




Action Alert

--
4,500+ Appearances and counting
--

--
Dear Friend,
On July 16, the No. 3 syndicated radio talk show host in the country, Michael Savage, made the following statement on autism:
"Now, you want me to tell you my opinion on autism? ... A fraud, a racket."
Savage went on to say:
Now, the illness du jour is autism. You know what autism is? I'll tell you what autism is. In 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out. That's what autism is.
What do you mean they scream and they're silent? They don't have a father around to tell them, "Don't act like a moron. You'll get nowhere in life. Stop acting like a putz. Straighten up. Act like a man. Don't20sit there crying and screaming, idiot."
Autism -- everybody has an illness. If I behaved like a fool, my father called me a fool. And he said to me, "Don't behave like a fool." The worst thing he said -- "Don't behave like a fool. Don't be anybody's dummy. Don't sound like an idiot. Don't act like a girl. Don't cry." That's what I was raised with. That's what you should raise your children with. Stop with the sensitivity training. You're turning your son into a girl, and you're turning your nation into a nation of losers and beaten men. That's why we have the politicians we have.
During the same broadcast, Savage also attacked those in "the minority community" who suffer from asthma. He stated: "[W]hy was there an asthma epidemic amongst minority children? Because I'll tell you why: The children got extra welfare if they were disabled, and they got extra help in school. It was a money racket. Everyone went in and was told [fake cough], 'When the nurse looks at you, you go [fake cough], "I don't know, the dust got me." ' See, everyone had asthma from the minority community."
Michael Savage's mean-spirited comments are disgusting and are an affront to basic decency.
The Savage Nation reaches at lea st 8.25 million listeners each week, according to Talkers Magazine, making it one of the most listened-to talk radio shows in the nation, behind only The Rush Limbaugh Show and The Sean Hannity Show.
Your voice is critical in holding Savage accountable for his comments. I hope you take the time to call and tell those running the station exactly what you think of Michael Savage.
Thank you,
Erin Hofteig
Director, New Media
Media Matters for America

8 comments:

bobbie said...

I've never heard of this man. NJ is not on the list at all, and I don't find any nearby PA stations either, so maybe we're just lucky enough not to hear him.

I hope the stations are deluged with calls and/or letters, and they get rid of him!

bobbie said...

I looked at MD and DE, and did find a station that we may be able to hear. I called anyway. Was told it's a syndicated program, so he "isn't an employee of the station". I asked if they would continue to air it. Was told "most likely". There wasn't much interest from the person I spoke to. The manager was not available.

bobbie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Theresa said...

Idiot, Idiot, Idiot! Some people just love to hear themselves talk, and will just say anything without having any education on the subject. Hopefully with more people like you, who speak out on Autism more people will get educated on the subject.

Casdok said...

I would love to hear what he would say after spending just 5 minets with my son.
Grrrr!

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda! Sorry this has you upset. Over the years, I've learned to laugh at "so stupid, it's funny" type people and what they say and do...this definitely falls under that category. Trust me, it isn't easy but I have gotten better. Thank you for sharing and encouraging others to speak out against this sort of ignorance. *HUGS & SMILES*

Unknown said...

I came here from Bobbie's blog. I'm appalled by this ugly man I've never heard of.

My daughter was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when she was 16. One of the crisis clinicians in charge of deciding if she should be hospitalized told us that bipolar disorder was "the latest fad diagnosis". I was fit to be tied. A mental health "professional" said this!

Morons are everywhere, even among those they are attempting to help. The fact that this Savage guy reaches 8.25 million listeners a week makes him a dangerous moron. Ugh.

Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the blog community. Well done!

Kelly said...

I too came here because of Bobbie's blog! I will definitely sign whatever you need signed that will help.

Ignorance is his disease, yet he is allowed to be on the "air"!

Kelly