When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares. Henri Nouwen
I love you Suz, thank you.
4 comments:
Thank you my friend, you just made me teary eyed - that describes you!!!
Cindy is so right - that describes YOU! I give back what I get from you, my love. Thank you for being such a wonderful sister and friend.
That is so nice! {sniff, sniff}
Beautiful post. You find the best quotes. I haven't thought about Henri Nouwen in a long time but used to love him. Your quote of the month is wonderful too.
If you haven't already done so, check out Norman Cousin's book, HUMAN OPTIONS. It's a diary of sorts but he also quotes others. One of my favorites is this one: "Great ideas," said Camus, come into the world as gently as doves. Perhaps, then, if we listen attentively, we shall hear amid the uproar of empires and nations, a faint flutter of wings, the gentle stirrings of life and hope. Some will say this hope lies in a nation; others in a man. I believe, rather, that it is awakened, revived, nourished by millions of solitary individuals whose deeds and works every day negate frontiers and the crudest implications of history.... each and every man, on the foundations of his own suffering and joys, builds for all."
The world is better for your presence in it.
Much Love,
Aunt Kathie
Post a Comment