Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Year End Meme

I found a New Year's Meme at Sognatrice's blog (a fun blog to read!)
Feel free to play along and let me know where to find you!


1. What did you do in 2007 that you’d never done before?

I took a traveling music position-very interesting, all the teaching and none of the politics. Also decided to begin seriously covering the grays-which I am determined to find the color that is the closest to my original hair color-so far, too red.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't think I made resolutions (should probably check the blog, huh?) but Tom and I decided we will each make a personal goal and a family goal for the year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Some colleagues have had babies, but 2008 will be a big year for several friends. Personally, I am done with all of that.


4. Did anyone close to you die? Not this year.

5. What countries did you visit?
Just the one I live in!


6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007?
More certainty and more focus personally.


7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
October 1, 2007 was the official confirmation of Connor's autism. I will always remember that.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Continuing to work with the chorale has been rewarding beyond what I can say as a personal achievement. But my biggest achievement is helping my boys find their way.


9. What was your biggest failure?
Not having enough confidence to submit my writing when I had a perfect opportunity. I still wonder why.


10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I worked with and made a good recovery from postpartum depression. I also have some weird pain in my left side that is still not completely diagnosed. Oh, and my son popped my kneecap out of place-OUCH!

11. What was the best thing you bought? My iPod. I love, love, love it. I make playlists for my classes and it is so much easier to use than CDs.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My amazing Connor. From October 1 with no words or signs to January 1 with words, signs and happy things. Plus, he has made me step back and look at the smallest things that I took for granted and made me a more grateful person.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I agree with Sognatrice on the Bush adminstration. Is this guy for real? I was afraid he might figure out a way to reinstate himself for an extra term.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Bills, bills, bills!


15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My newer car-I love it! And two different Girls Weekend spa/lunch events-one with all of my SIL's and my MIL and one with Terri. Can we make this an annual event?


16. What song will always remind you of 2007?
Wonder by Natalie Merchant


17. Compared to this time last year, are you: (a) happier or sadder? (b) thinner or fatter? (c) richer or poorer?
I am more in limbo than last year-maybe a mix of happy and sad, probably have more love handles and while I have more money from working full time plus, I am not richer by any means.


18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Yoga, writing, photography, reading


19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Eating!


20. How did you spend Christmas? With my husband, two happy and overwhelmed boys and my mom. We then trekked over to Cindy, Trevor and Annika's for dinner and playtime.

21. Did you fall in love in 2007? Maybe deeper in love.

22. What was your favorite TV program?
I love "Lost" and I still love Colbert.


23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I don't really hate anyone. I dislike people's actions, but I don't hate anyone.


24. What was the best book you read? I enjoyed the Best American Short Stories 2007. Some strange stories, but there were a few I really loved.

25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
My son's rendition of "Route 66". A close second was my husband learning "On the Road Again" on guitar. One to make you cry.


26. What did you want and get?
A newer car. A few family vacations.


27. What did you want and not get?
I didn't get to intern with the Arts Commission this fall, even though I was accepted, but working full time was in the cards instead. However, they still want me to intern and I can do it this summer instead. I wanted speech therapy for my son and we are still waiting for that too.


28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Well, I am pretty lame when it comes to movies, so I will have to pass on this.


29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36 this year and I spent it reading the last Harry Potter book and eating our traditional ice cream cake. I don't like making a big birthday fuss anymore.


30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Spending more time with family and friends. We get kind of stuck among the four of us and we realized how much we need everyone around us.

31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Again, my fashion statement is almost always wearing a black shirt OR black pants, black shoes. My friends are continually amazed when I actually do NOT wear something black. It sounds dreary, but it makes me happy.

32. What kept you sane?
Writing. The blog has helped my confidence so I need to push forward in 2008 and start submitting.


33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I love Colbert, just because I do.


34. What political issue stirred you the most? Education-I am seriously concerned for when my children begin school. Working in the system makes you see how messed up it truly can be.

35. Who did you miss? All of our family and friends from all over.

36. Who was the best new person you met?
I am really happy to have become good friends with Julie this year. Of course, I met her last year, but we only started hanging out this year....


37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2007.
In my 2008 planner, I put the following lesson to remember:

Every day brings new challenges, therefore
we accept them
we overcome them
we learn and persist

38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.

From R.E.M. "At My Most Beautiful"
At my most beautiful
I count your eyelashes, secretly
With every one, whisper I love you
I let you sleep
I know you're closed eye watching me,
Listening
I thought I saw a smile

p/s: I am having issues with the text colors today, so I apologize for the striking hues. Keep checking back....I am working on a new blog look!
And how was your year?

3 comments:

Theresa said...

Hey you know you don't have to ask me- I am in for the spa day, just tell me when and where and I'll be there!

Very insightful blog

Can't wait to see what the changes are to the blog.

Jeni said...

Great responses to some really tough questions there. If I hear you held back on a writing submission again - you just better look out girl. I'm liable to land on your front door step and then, well we don't want to see that reaction do we? You write very well -from the heart -and I'd love to see you make some submissions, get some things out there for the public eye to see, to read. You can do it!

julie said...

I love the new look! And I have to agree about the best new person question ;)
Cool meme!