Tuesday, May 27, 2008

An Aunt Soooz Weekend

Super Aunt Soooz from Yew Nork City came to visit us this past weekend. She brought the beautiful, cooler weather along with her and we enjoyed a relaxing weekend of birthday and family fun. Ian's birthday party was Saturday evening at the park-the official party.

Here is Aunt Cindy's excellent cake creation-this year, a Star Wars Ewok cake as requested by Ian. She also made Trevor a Planet Hoth birthday cake back in March, so it will be interesting to see-if the boys are still obsessed with Star Wars next year at all-she might have to figure out the Death Star cake after all. At any rate, this is a tradition that is so much fun observing her planning process and seeing the final product.

The kids around the cake, vying for the best piece or the character with the most frosting-laden feet.

"I want the sprinkles!" "I want the speeder bike!" "I want the Ewok-not that one!"

My sweet four-year-old, Ian.

Our very own homie, making moves and stalking the cake when he thinks no one is looking. He actually looks like he is busting out a breakdance move. "C to the O to the double N-O-R"

Connor gives Aunt Soooz some assistance.

The next morning, we met Aunt Ginny and Cousin Maureen for brunch at Mimi's Cafe. The boys were well-behaved for almost two hours. We were able to manage some great conversation as coherent adults. The boys were even able to get up and move around without disturbing other patrons. It was brilliant!

Aunt Soooz read bedtime stories to the boys, which they both sat quietly (Ian picking his nose and having a "snack") and paying close attention. She should read books on tape or something-she is a very engaging reader!
"Oh, MAN!" Connor reading "Goodnight, Gorilla"-possibly the most favorite book of both of my boys at this age. Our favorite ad libs include "Oh, NO!", "Oh, MAN!" and "Banana!"
Soooz (sorry, I cannot write her name any other way now!) is one of my most favorite people-yes, I am completely biased. She is a terrific listener, friend, sister-she is honest and loving and she lets you know that life is quirky, difficult, ironic and wonderful for all of us. You cannot help but be a better person around her. We feel lighthearted and uplifted and we hope that she went home feeling as loved and as happy as she left us.

11 comments:

Jeni said...

How cool and incredible is that cake! Wowzers! And the pictures in this post are terrific -all of 'em - but I really loved the first one at the top of the blog. The backward hat and big grins on aunt and nephew -just priceless!

Akelamalu said...

What a fantastic cake!!

Love all the photos - everyone looks to be having a great time. :)

Raven said...

My niece Cindy is one awesome cake-maker (and human being)! Looks like everyone had a wonderful "birthday season" (stole that from my other niece who is also wonderful). You have a lot of wonderful people in your life - but you're a wonderful person yourself, so it isn't surprising that you draw special people to you.

julie said...

Looks like you guys had a great weekend! I'm sorry we didn't make it for Ian's birthday on Saturday (especially after seeing that cake ;)

I'm glad you had as much fun with your guests as we had with ours, though; it's wonderful to have family members that you enjoy spending time with.

Dianne said...

I love these photos. So much happiness going on!!

Aunt Soooz looks like a really cool person PLUS she IS from NY LOL

and she's awfully pretty too.

Aunt Sooooz said...

Thank you Linda!!! What a lovely post you wrote. I'm very touched. My life is a million times richer for having the four of you in it, and I definitely felt loved and happy. I'm still smiling from this visit!! You are raising such wonderful, sweet little boys. I'm endlessly impressed with you and Tom.

And Dianne - thanks for the compliment! Shout out to Brooklyn in da HOUSE!!

Dianne said...

Right back at ya Soooz!

Michelle Quinno said...

Wow, that cake is amazing!! Your boys are so lucky to have such great aunties (said with Boston accent). So do you say Ant or Ahunt?

I cracked up with the little homie, Connor! Too cute. And sweet Ian. He looks very sweet. Four is a great age.

bobbie said...

Glad the birthday experience was such a good one. Glad Aunt Soooz was there - the boys look so happy with her, and she with them. She is right - you do seem to be doing a truly wonderful job with them.

Unknown said...

She sounds great, Linda! And I loved seeing Connor "helping" her push the case. I also think it's cool how Connor enjoys wearing his cap! :D) All in all, it sounds like it was a great visit!!

Diana said...

I love to see all the creative things that Cindy does. She has always been so artistic. It's great to see her creativity has an outlet that also makes all the kids so darn happy.