I decided to try taking the boys (on my own) to see Kung Fu Panda at the cheapy theater tonight. Ian has seen it already, but was excited to go again. Connor didn't know what was going on, but he was more fixated on the M&M's in the refrigerator than anything. Tom had to work, so he missed all the drama.
We get there, buy our tickets ($6.00 total!) and of course, get popcorn. Connor spied a video game that has a yellow car with a steering wheel. He was fascinated by it and I tried giving him fair warning that we were going in to the movie. Connor doesn't seem to understand the concept of "time to go" or coming back to something later.
The screaming began en route to the theater. "CAAR!" "LALLOW CAR!" "NOOOOO!!"
We get into the theater, where there is one other young couple-no children. We sit away from them and Connor continued to rant about the car. (NOOO!!!) They curiously peer at us every so often, wondering if I am a mom who will allow the screaming to go on beyond the previews.
Enter six teenage boys to the back row. They are loud, but no match for Connor. He stops momentarily to eat a few M&M's, but as we know, when food doesn't appease him, it's pretty much a lost cause.
The movie begins and Ian, all set in his seat with a big bag of popcorn, is excited. Connor, facing away from the movie screen, begins wailing and screaming. "NOOO!" "LALLOW CAAR!!"
I finally have had enough. I pack up our bag, carry Connor under my arm and tell Ian we have to go, which breaks my heart even more than listening to Connor cry, because he says, "But, Mommy, the movie just started." I tell him that I know and we'll talk outside. His eyes fill with tears and I feel awful for disappointing him, when he really deserves to stay. But I know that Connor will not settle down and he trumped Ian tonight.
We get out of the theater and sit on the floor. I explained to Ian that Connor is so loud that we cannot hear and that Connor is not enjoying the movie. Ian responds by saying, "Well, I can hear. I have big ears!" So, I tell him that we will return and see the movie just Mommy and Ian. To which he says, "Yeah, let's just leave Connor home with Daddy!" Yeah! Take that, Connor! Ian returned to his jovial self for the remainder of the evening.
We schlep out to the front counter where I ask for a refund. The boy asks me why (as if he cannot see or hear the child I am carrying) and I just look at him. He gives me my $6.00 back and we go over to the yellow car arcade game, where Connor calms down and sits happily. Somehow, Ian and I manage to get him out of the theater. We play over by the fountain and head to the produce store and then home.
Connor has done well in movies before, so I don't think it was the movie itself, but rather that blankity-blank arcade game that he saw as we walked in.
Ian managed to talk my ear off the entire rest of the night. His new favorite game is "Name That Tune" usually with Backyardigans songs. However, after playing for almost an hour and a half yesterday and for another half hour today, I was a little maxed out on this game. Another exciting game is where Ian screams or yells in various high pitches and tries to get Connor to imitate him. This occured at dinner and again in the car. I'd almost rather play the name that tune game for an entire day over the screaming that I will hear tonight in my sleep.
A glass of red wine is starting to sound really good right now.
7 comments:
Aw, poor Ian -to have his plans altered like that. To show how dense I can be at times, I never would have thought of asking for a refund! DUH! Why not though, as I think about that now? I dunno why, but until you said about doing that, it just never occurred to me but sure does make some good sense there. Hope you and Ian do get to make the movie -just the two of you perhaps -a little bit of extra Mommy-son bonding time, maybe?
Rough night. I'm sorry. Good that Ian is such a good sport. Name that tune, eh? At least you're a musician... or maybe that just makes it worse.
Argh! I'm sorry to hear the movie didn't work out.
Oh, you poor thing! And poor Ian. I hope the two of you get to see it soon. Too funny about the "big ears" comment! Big hugs to you. I don't know how you handle it all so well. I hope you poured yourself a BIG glass.
Ian is so cool.
I love how reasonable he was.
And you're like 10 people all rolled into one.
Hope you had the wine :)
Gosh, Linda, sorry to hear you had to postpone the movie plans. I can relate by having to take Matt back and forth when we went to Vegas last year. What triggered (started to self-abuse) is daddy going off with others to the gambling table. Fortunately, this is the only time it's happened (knock on wood). HIgh fives for Ian for being..understanding. Hang in there! *HUGS & SMILES*
oooooh those evil arcade games!
Does not sound like one of your better outings-it was nice that Ian handled it so well.
Post a Comment