Thursday, September 04, 2008

Walk For Autism: TEAM MURPHY


We are participating in Autism Speaks Walk for Autism on Sunday, November 2 and have set a team goal of raising $1000.00 for this cause.

Please visit our team page to learn more information and if you would like to donate-even better. Or just leave a little TLC support in comment form too-donations to our emotional bank are always welcome!

Team Murphy Walk Page


Also, we secured a semester of music therapy with the ASU music therapy intern program. Connor will attend on Fridays with Dad and Ian and participate with a few other children his age in music activities. You might wonder why we chose this option for him, considering our music teacher status. Music therapy is a different type of teaching. I took a class in special education music during my undergrad and that was the extent of my expertise. So, while we both teach special needs students, this will be great for us to learn some new ways to use our skills and allow Connor the chance to interact with some other children his age.
One thing is for sure-children with special needs do respond very positively to music. We are both looking forward to this opportunity for Connor.

4 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

That sounds like a great program! I'm sure Connor will love it. He's so lucky to have music teachers as parents!

I wish you the best of luck on your walk too. I wish I could contribute but I've given my all to ALS walk in Oct. since my uncle has been diagnosed.

bobbie said...

I know that all children respond very well to music. I'm sure this program will be of great benefit.

I would so like to contribute money as well as good thoughts. Unfortunately, a Social Security check just doesn't stretch very far. But I will try to do anything else that I can for this cause.

Raven said...

The music program sounds wonderful. I look forward to hearing more about it and how it goes. Music is such a powerful thing.

Bravo/brava on the walk-a-thon. Glad I have until November to cough up some money. I just squeezed out a small donation to Obama and am over-extended to cover my bills this month, but hopefully by the end of October, I will be able to send you at least a small contribution.

Theresa said...

Go Team Murphy!!! Good luck in making your goal!

and have fun in the music class :)