
Two stir-crazy boys and two parents wanting to just relax isn't the best weekend combination. We were going to go to apple picking on Saturday, but after looking up directions on the website, we came to find out that all the apples had be picked for the season and the orchard was closed. (I forget we are in AZ and not NY-and after investigating all of the other (rip-off) places to pick apples, we skipped it altogether) Tom decided we would instead go to Saguaro Lake just north of us and only 40 minutes away.If it were only that easy.
We discussed leaving early Saturday and ended up not going. By Sunday morning, we were feeling truly lazy, but Ian was having constant LEGO meltdowns and Connor was in and out of the refrigerator or angling for snacks every half an hour. I ran out to the store to get some dinner makings and when I came back, Tom was doing the "5 minutes!" call to get us out the door. (otherwise we would never get anywhere!)
We drove up listening to Imagination Movers all the way. As we neared the lake, the signs indicated that we needed to buy a day pass back at one of the gas stations on the highway. Tom thought maybe they would sell the passes at the lake, which they didn't. We were allowed to park by the marina and walk around the docks, but we couldn't picnic or swim.
We then tried a different lake heading back toward the highway. This one also required a pass, but we drove through and it looked okay for swimming. Tom drove back to the highway, got a pass and we started back to the lake-only to find that now there was a brush fire on the roadside. The police stopped traffic on the narrow road so that the rangers could extinguish the fire. Another twenty minutes later and we finally got to the lake.
The boys enjoyed wading in the water. Ian wasn't too sure about the mucky feel to the water, so he didn't venture too far. He got braver as he went along. Connor walked out as far as he could go before Tom had to pick him up. We set out a blanket, had some snacks and a few visits from several curious bees and then headed back home. We are both tired, now that the boys are in bed and I find myself dragging through this post. YAWN!
5 comments:
Oooh, the lake looks so pretty surrounded by mountains! Love your photos of the boys too! So cute!
Sorry it took so long to finally get settled.
I've driven past the lake a few times, but I've never gone to it.Looks like you guys chose a good day, though. All the times I've driven past, the access roads are usually packed with cars.
At least you had a chance to get out of the house and do something new!
Glad you guys got out- the boys will truly remember the outings, you can sleep when they are married and have kids of their own :) (don't worry, I won't be calling them adults for a long while- I learned my lesson toddler and not baby)
Looks like a beautiful day despite the set-backs. Great pictures. How long do I have to make a donation to your walk-a-thon? If I can wait until after the 3rd of October, that would be good, but if not... it won't be much - REALLY - , but I'd like to add something.
I love Saguaro Lake - but I have been lucky enough to go out there with people who had a boat. It's beautiful.
I "found" you through Raven's blog, and she mentioned to me that you live in Arizona, as do I (Glendale), and that you might be interested in studying Reiki, which I would like to do. Maybe you could email me sometime - I've done a bit of research about classes in the Phoenix area.
Post a Comment