Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Kara-tay

(A Friends title reference for my friends J&T-unagi!)

We did a sibling split tonight-I took Ian on errands with me, while Tom got to hang out with Connor. Ian and I stopped at Kinko's to run off a million copies for the chorale scholarship program. He enjoyed "catching" the papers as they came out of the feed. Over a thousand papers later, we decided to stop by Michael's for a few more letters for our wall. I found the final "O" for Connor's name (originally CONNR) and Ian got his name as well.

Our final stop was a Martial Arts center that just opened a block away from our house. I popped in to see if they taught young children and to get a schedule. The owner, who just finished a class, invited us in and gave Ian a short introductory lesson on the spot. He had to stop at the door, bow and say "Hello, Sir" and "Hello Ma'am" before he would be allowed to walk in. After that, he learned to also bow to the mat and stand on a star. Following that, the instructor talked to me about what they work on. Apparently, in order to move along in his belts, he has to be doing well at home and at school. He isn't in school yet, but the teacher would have to talk to the instructor and ensure that Ian was behaving and disciplined in school. I liked that part a lot.

Ian learned a few stances and had to follow a series of arm movements and repeat what he was told to say in a strong voice. He did a few kicks and also had to practice sitting still and making good eye contact. Physically, it was challenging just because he is little, but he followed all of the directions exactly. I am just not sure what to do, but it is something to consider. Anyone with thoughts on Martial Arts for little boys, I would be happy to hear any and all opinions. Because I love the idea of how disciplined it would be, but beyond that, I don't have any clue.

Aside from that, it is 10:34pm and Ian is still awake. This I am not happy about in the least. My heart is starting to feel conflicted that he might not be in the right place to serve his best needs during the day. I feel very strongly about set bedtimes and lately, he is in bed for about three hours, completely awake past his bedtime. I am going to think carefully about how to change this, since I cannot control everything, as nice as that would be.

On a different note, my husband is having a bout with pneumonia this week and he is looking worse for wear, but still very cute. May he have his health back soon!

6 comments:

julie said...

Sorry to hear about Tom's pneumonia - I hope he's better soon!

From what I've heard about little boys in karate, it can be a very good thing. Not just for the discipline (which is excellent, especially when reinforced at home), but for the confidence building aspect. He'll be much less of a target for bullying, because he'll have more self confidence.

It sounds like this would be a great teacher, too. Since he wasn't all that interested in soccer, karate may be a better fit for him.

Aunt Kathie said...

Sorry about your husband's pneumonia. I have had pneumonia and it isn't even a little bit of fun. Let me know if he would like me to send some reiki to him and I'll be glad to do so. You can check out what I'm talking about at http://www.geocities.com/ravensreiki ... try the healing hands page... it actually works.

Jesse said...

LOL. Unagi!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ev_ob4mVwg

Michelle Quinno said...

Ooh, I hope your hubby is better soon! I thought mine had it too but he doesn't.

As for karate - excellent idea! My boys both took Tai Kwon Do and really did well with it...or at least my oldest did. My youngest had too much energy to listen really well but he did ok with it. Unfortunately we moved before they could move on up another belt and I didn't find a program soon enough for them to continue.

I think it's excellent for discipline and also as mentioned previously, for confidence. You know my ds has had bully issues.

Thomas said...

I am feeling a bit better... thanks all.

I am on the fence about Karate for Ian as well. Discipline and self confidence would be good for him though.

Theresa said...

I' d be for it if
1. instructor is a good one (which he sounds like)
2. knowing the kids in his class -that there are no "jar" heads

I have taken a few classes, first time I hated it (really bad instructor- we had mixed levels, and I got pumpled by an advance student and came home crying)

and once where it was well taught which was fun, but tough.

Glad you feel better Tommy!