A new grocery store opened within walking distance of the house AND even better bikeable (not a word-is now) distance. I was so excited that I wrote the grand opening on my calendar and saved my special get-a-free-canvas-bag coupon. (For those interested, it is the Fresh and Easy store)
So, after work, I picked up the boys and headed over to the new store. Ian was excited because I promised him we would make banana bread. So, he was ready for helping find the ingredients we needed. Connor wasn't as amused.
The screaming began as we entered the store. The greeter handed us a brochure and welcomed us-I don't know what she exactly said. Connor was strapped into the front of the cart, thrashing and screaming like a wild child. Ian was pointing out bananas and other items needed. The store was crowded and every few minutes, a kind soul would try to comfort Connor with questions or comments. He was having none of that. One of the employees offered him a chip (normally food is the way to go) and he flipped out. ("IDONWIKEIT!" NOOO! NOOO!") Comments followed.
"Aww, he needs a nap." (He's been awake for a half-hour)
"What's wrong, wittle guy?" (baby talk annoys all three of us, with Ian saying "why do you talk like that?" )
"He sounds hungry, do you want a snack?" (a good tactic that normally works)
"Awww." (translated-maybe the mom should take him home instead of having him cry-probably right)
A good mother would probably take her child out of the store and go home, forfeiting the free bag and the banana bread. I, of questionable parenting today, forged ahead, on the fast track. We picked up bananas, milk and I even found a small box of animal crackers. ("NNNNOOOO!!!")
When Connor doesn't respond well to food, this is a strong indicator that something is clearly amiss.
We get to the register and the cashier offers the boys crayons and a coloring book. Ian, the prince of tactfulness, asks, "Why are you just giving me this?" as if he knows there's a catch somewhere. Connor continues to wail ("NO! NO! NOOOOO!!") and I try to ask about my free bag. By now, I deserve a free bag.
They are out of free bags.
A raincheck on the free bag is offered and I accept, doing my best to get these children out of this store. Connor is practically purple with anger and Ian is now put out that he must actually walk to the car instead being chauffeured in the cart. Him I can handle with a quick word.
We get in the car and back home. Connor sprawls on the kitchen floor for awhile, crying. I try sitting with him for a bit, but he is angry and wants to be on the floor. So, I leave him alone.
About an hour later, he is calm enough to play and begin requesting juice and getting his bearings back. He is fine and happy for the rest of the evening. Ian is also very compliant and an excellent assistant for making banana bread.
I am sorry, Connor. We need to add Fresh and Easy to Connor's black list. Other stores include JoAnn's Fabrics (a personal favorite) and Costco. It is convenient and I will try again when the newness dies down.
Sometimes my own personal reward isn't worth the heartache. I didn't listen very well today.
p.s.-don't forget to read the post below this one-as I posted two today.
7 comments:
I think you listened, you just tried to move through it at the same time.
I love that Ian questions baby talk. My son used to also. Jeffrey wasn't as tactful as Ian. He'd ask "Is something wrong with you?"
Wow. He really must hate that store to not want the food.
Ian is too funny. Trevor would just have taken with no question.
Sorry no bags. We just had one open by our house, but I have yet to go there. Maybe I need to keep asking for a bike for my b-day.
Too funny about Ian and the baby talk!
I'm sorry you didn't have a successful trip. I really hope you get your bag another time.
I wonder what set Connor off? Big hugs to you for handling it so well.
ohh is this Ian's famous chocolate chip banana bread- if so everyone needs to have a slice!
Ian's famous banana bread-we have a winning title now! Thanks, Aunt Terri! And you bet, I think every recipe of Ian's will include chocolate chips.
Like father, like son.
Chocolate chip banana bread! Worth the struggle and suffering. I love that kids are smart enough to call people on baby talk... and smart enough to know when they are being patronized. Well, it may be rotten of me, but you shared this so entertainingly that I thoroughly enjoyed your Fresh and Screamy journey.
Stores usually seem to remain high on both Kurtis and Maya's lists of favorite places and in general, they've "usually" remained fairly calm if we are shopping. There have been a few minor issues from time to time but nothing all that radical. Thankfully. Church, on the other hand, with Maya was completely off limits for almost a year! From the time she was a newborn, we took her to church and she was a-ok with everything until one night, when Kurtis was 3 weeks ald and we decided to go to the evening service. Maya went into a raging, screaming, kicking hissy fit as soon as her feet hit the carpet in the narthex! Her screams actually begin as an ear-piercing shriek and then things escalate from that point! It was a rough year for us to get through but then, as suddenly as her fear, sensory issue, dislike -whatever it was -for church began, it started to disappear and now, she's more than willing to attend, even participates in the children's sermon and Mandy is considering putting her in the children's choir this year too as she loves to sing! Although I know how disruptive these outbursts can be -for you, for the boys (both of them) but I think you handled it all with aplomb and diplomacy, letting him fuss it through. Hopefully, for him, this will disappear too -in due time.
Post a Comment