The end of yet another long day, but enjoyable to watch a backyard full of children (six to be exact!) running and playing. Hopscotch. Hide and seek. Chase. Pulling each other around in the wagon. Coming inside for ice pops. Thinking how I used to be one of those kids, playing the neighbor's yard.
I am thankful that, while I am not technically "old", I honestly feel young at heart. I truly believe that, even though the body changes and deteriorates, that old can also be a state of mind. If you think you are old and less capable, believing that makes it harder to be well and happy. I have met several people over the years who are stellar examples of living life young. One former co-worker from the jewelry store years ago was working part time, driving, baking Grand Marnier cakes for everyone's birthday, on the board of an organization and would go to movies. She was more active than I was in my 20's! My mom still reports in that she is still making appearances. She was in her seventies back then. My sister-in-law's parents are another set that come to mind. Tom and I always admire them for so much, but their independence and participation in different activities is always something we love about them.
I also know a lot of people who aren't physically active, but have determined spirit and such a healthy approach to life and citizenship. I am thankful for the opportunity, first to know this young-at-heart individuals who keep my life in perspective and then to watch my children play and run because it keeps me happy and light-hearted even when I feel winter-bluesy.
4 comments:
Children will do that for you -keep you on your toes, keep you young. That's why grandchildren are even more important that their parents were cause the grands do so much more for the health and well-being of the grandparents than many doctors and tons of drugs can do! Trust me, I know from whence I speak on this one!
Keep enjoying your boys -and their friends -every minute you can. Too quickly, they'll be grown men.
I do think children help keep you young... and I agree that much of life is a state of mind. I used to watch some of the older people when I lived in Stuyvesant Town hobbling along with their walkers or canes. I admired them their courage and determination especially as I myself became increasingly home bound.
The wonderful thing about kids is that they still have that beginners mind thing and it helps connect us to our own ability to see things with new (or renewed) eyes.
Happy Gratitude Day 13. I'm grateful for your wisdom and goodness... and for the inspiration to do a daily gratitude post.
I agree completely. I'm feeling very old today though...
Michael always comments to me when I am still in my robe mid-day on how unlike I am from my parents.
Guess you marry traits of your parents, since Michael too always wants to be doing somethin.
Post a Comment