And speaking of encouragement, I have been a beginner yoga student for eons-first doing some yoga with my good friend, Hilary and a few actual classes here and there. Hilary has since moved to greener pastures over in Austin, TX, but I still look to her for yoga guidance and encouragement.
After some time off from yoga, I decided to try the class at my son's karate studio. Billie has challenged the class with some really tricky poses and it is keeping my interest renewed each week.
A few weeks ago, I asked her about doing headstands and shoulder stands, which I haven't done since I was a child. Even then, I wasn't really great at them! She was enthusiastic to teach it to me (actually, she taught it during a class that I missed) and I did my first yoga headstand in probably thirty years.
Did I worry about my old juga body getting into the pose? Sure. But I was determined to try. I had a spotter for the first round and when I saw myself in the mirror doing the pose that I only read about in magazines-it was empowering. On the second try, she wanted me to kick up into the pose. That proved to be more challenging than the actual holding of the pose. Apparently, I needed to work up those core muscles hiding under the baby juga.
So, this morning, after a busy couple of weeks, I decided to unroll the mat and salute the sun. The boys were up and about, occasionally crawling under my down dog or requesting juice or snacks mid-pose. No big deal. Towards the end of my practice, I decided to do some poses against the wall. This is when Tom appeared. I was feeling pretty strong, so I decided I would try the headstand on my own, completely unsure if I could kick up on my own. After really working to get my head, neck and arms right, I found kicking up to be EASY!

For a moment, I felt pure exhilaration. Tom got his camera and by then, I was ready to hop down (my feet are all cockeyed!) but it was soooooo great. I feel energized and happy as a result. Of course, during meditation, I was totally consumed with an "I did it!" feeling, so it was harder to settle down.
Anyway, I am by no means in great shape and looking back at some old photos of me ten years ago-I see the changes. And I know that time isn't always on my side as far as exercise goes. But I am making time for yoga, both in class and at home. Probably need to sandwich the cardio in there somewhere, but this is about all I have enough time for right now.
The boys enjoy creating their own yoga poses too, which is another post for another day!
I am thankful that this old mommy has still got a few moves left!
8 comments:
Great job! Yogatastic!
Boy, do I ever envy your ability to contort your body like that. I consider myself lucky if I am able to get my knee joint to just bend as I try to walk! And the headstand -probably would send me into cardiac arrest or some such thing -if I could in fact ever get my body in said position to start with!
Tell Tom I read his blog -did it in between trips to the kitchen while fixing supper and didn't get back to it to comment but he did a fantastic job with Ian's costume! Loved the bit to where you stepped forward and took command about Ian's antics too! Sometimes, the patience only stretches just so far and I think that's the only way we can deal then with kids, be they autistic or NT's! I've been trying to transfer pics I took last night of the kids and of our church bazaar today to use in my post tonight -if I ever get the darned pics to transfer! The computer isn't recognizing my camera right now for some stupid reason or other! ARRGH!
Wow, I am impressed! Yoga is great. I need to get back to it.
Awesome! Brava to you! I like the idea of daily gratitude. I try to remember - and do most days - to do gratitude every morning and evening (and sometimes in between). I won't promise, but if you do a daily gratitude, I'll see if I can join in and keep you company.
I miss yoga- wish you lived closer so we could be yoga-buds (and maybe get a braclet to prove it!-now where did that idea come from?)
Wow!! Looking good
I read you every day and enjoy whatever you post :)
Wow, the 30 Days of Thanks are here again! I don't think I'll be participating this year..too busy and it can get sort of hard keeping up.
Cool seeing you in a.."new light"! LOL!
Oh, congratulations on your fundraising for the Walk...we're unable to do ours again. We'll keep tryin' every year until we get it right.
Stop by soon...new posts/pics/good news! *HUGS & SMILES*
Wow, the 30 Days of Thanks are here again! I don't think I'll be participating this year..too busy and it can get sort of hard keeping up.
Cool seeing you in a.."new light"! LOL!
Oh, congratulations on your fundraising for the Walk...we're unable to do ours again. We'll keep tryin' every year until we get it right.
Stop by soon...new posts/pics/good news! *HUGS & SMILES*
Post a Comment