So, if you watched the previous video with our tree decorating festivities......
Sunday morning, Curious Connor, who has been removing ornaments and replacing them all onto one branch, was by the tree. I was trying to catch a few winks on the couch and Ian was, naturally, reading his Lego magazine.
And then the sound of the tree falling, ornaments tinkling and crashing and Connor saved only by the tree falling against the door and not completely on the floor. He was completely stunned and sat very quietly on the couch while Tom and I wrestled the tree into the garage. No tears, but almost like he knew it could have been much worse. Two legs snapped off the base, so Tom scouted about for a new base, which he found Sunday evening at Lowe's.
The ornaments survived, even the breakable ones on high branches. There were a few ornament casualties from Friday-including....
Decapitated Snoopy
It's not over til the Snowman breaks his xylophone
and another Snoopy is floating in the atmosphere, separated from the Moon.
The Glitter Trumpet (Tom's "favorite") has thankfully survived. We don't really like this ornament, which is exactly why I keep it because our students take delight in giving us some of the most garish musical ornaments imaginable. It's always a good laugh whenever that gilded trumpet is unearthed.
And because I am not the most timely person, it is only fitting that I am a few days behind in finishing my gratitude posts. I wasn't quite sure what to write, but today unfolded and wrote itself.
This morning, one of Tom's colleagues lost her husband to cancer over the weekend and at one of my schools, a preschool teacher-younger than me-died over the weekend. Hug your family a little closer and be ever so grateful for the time that we spend with each other-whether it's in person, via email or on the phone. To be grateful for a loved one's presence even if the time with them feels short. I am sure that these two people, who are missed greatly, will find much peace and happiness in their next journey.
4 comments:
Glad no one was hurt in the tree mishap. All things considered - not too terrible.
I miss having a tree. Just not able to get it up - and down again later - any more. Each ornament brings a memory of family, friend or place. But I still use some to decorate here and there.
Yikes! I'm glad the tree didn't land on him!
I wonder if this means Connor is developing a sense of fear?
I'm sorry to hear about the losses of people you know. You're right, it does make us that much more grateful for the loves in our lives, and gives renewed meaning to the time we have with them.
I'm so sorry for the teacher who lost their fight.
As for the tree, I'm sorry you had to go through that too. I know it's not funny but you gave me a chuckle over the ornaments. I'm glad you didn't lose too many though. Connor will probably stay clear of the tree now. He must have been so scared!
Well maybe decapitated Snoopy can join our famous cookies of decapitated snowman and no-flake snowflake in Christmas Heavan!
Looks like you definitely have a Michael and Chris duo- one learns by books and careful scrutiny and the other learns by diving in!
So did Connor figure out how many ornaments it takes on one branch to touple a tree?
As your counting mentor, just reminding you that Novemeber has 30 days in it :) although you did say finish"ing" and not finish"ed"
Yes always grateful for the loved ones that are still with us- it is amazing how time flies and it is important to make the time for the ones who you love. Sorry to hear about your friend.
Post a Comment