Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Another Alternative

I have been searching for some alternatives to certain medications, especially after the Depo shot threw me completely out of whack after only two shots. I stopped the shots over a year ago and my system is still fighting with the effects. My doctor who delivered my two boys and whom I love and trust seemed to find nothing physically wrong (good) but continued to recommend low dose birth control and other hormone adjusting solutions. She said there really wasn't another way to help me get back on track. I was disappointed because I was done with all of the hormone stuff.

My sister-in-law and my mother-in-law both have had success with acupuncture to restore their health to a sense of normalcy. After a long heart-to-heart with my sister-in-law who I trust implicitly, she talked about how acupuncture was able to regulate and help her. I decided to try it and researched to find a great person.

Yesterday was my first appointment. Mindy talked with me for a half hour with many questions about life and health. My pulse and blood pressure were good, which surprised her a little. The fatigue from low iron was a concern, so she wanted to focus on that area so that I don't become anemic. Then she set me up for a treatment.

The needles felt like flicks on my skin-not painful. I was a little tense because I wasn't sure what to expect. She said it would be great if I fell asleep, but some people don't. I closed my eyes and tried to meditate. I felt incredible energy in my body and my imagery was vivid. I kept picturing myself diving off of a cliff into water, but in the air I was somersaulting, turning and spinning before hitting the water. It's odd because I do not remember dreams unless I am sick, but this is clear, even as I write.

Following the acupuncture, she also gave me some herb tablets and tincture to take twice a day. Let me say that the tincture is unpleasant in taste to where I have to chase it with some water or juice. Ick. She also asked me to eat iron-building foods and gave me a list. I also get to have a glass of red wine more often to help the blood. (Julie-Yellow Tail!) I will return in two weeks for another treatment and see how things are going.

Today's schedule: Off to finish painting the laundry area, going to Home Depot to fix the dryer coil, Connor's OT appointment and a major donor workshop in Phoenix, then a ton of grant work this evening. The boys are excited for Home Depot (tractors!) so off we go.

3 comments:

Raven said...

Boy, your schedule just for today makes me feel tired.... wow.

I hope the acupuncture continues to work. I tried it once years and years ago... I forget what for now. I went to a real Chinese herbalist in China town named Dr. Fu Zhang. His smelly tea had worked wonders for me and I thought I'd try the acupuncture. The whole China Town/Fu Zhang experience was like a trip to another world.

We should talk more about reiki too.

julie said...

That's interesting about the imagery. You'll have to keep us updating on how it's going - if it works to regulate you, I may give it a try myself sometime!

Michelle Quinno said...

Good luck with your treatments. That sounds so relaxing!