
I am finding autism to be a swinging pendulum. One week -or even many-weeks -are bright, connected and you would just think that this is one special kid. Suddenly, everything becomes unbearable-the little car isn't quite right, the clothes are all wrong and comfort is taken in small doses. He has started hitting himself when he is angry or when he is told no. That is surprising and very disconcerting. Even the developmental therapist caught that one.
Yesterday, our wonderful daycare provider told me he cried for over a half hour because someone touched his snack tray. The day before, she ended up changing him into different clothes because he was distressed over the ones he was wearing. I have been searching for the plainest clothes I can find.
Last night, he was crying over a little toy and I wasn't even clear why. Then, more tears going to sleep.
All I know is we all go through moods and we all have off days and weeks.
I am taking a deep breath and we'll be ready to catch this little boy after another roll down the hill. We'll just have to carry him back up and hope the pendulum will be swinging back in our favor.
6 comments:
OH, you poor thing. It must be so hard when there's nothing you can do to comfort him. You are so right about carrying him back up. I hope he's back on the happy side soon. I just want to reach out and give you both a hug!!!
Such a sweet, beautiful boy.
I'm sending a cyber hug to you both and prayers that the top of the hill turns out to be a shorter distance than it looks to you to from this morning's vantage point.
I'll add my hugs!
It must be such a struggle for both of you.
After one of the times his Dad left, my son developed a habit of hating whatever he was wearing - but only after he was all dressed, usually at the bus stop while waiting for the pre-school bus. I took to carrying at least 2 changes of clothes and we'd go into the corner store and he'd change.
I would just take lots and lots of deep breaths and I'd feel OK when I saw his face relax.
I'm always thinking of you :)
I still have issues within myself about the clothes I put on from time to time -maybe I'm on the spectrum too? Seriously, some days it does seem like hey, we're going forward by leaps and bounds and then, presto-magic, you get a bomb blast that sets you back or so it seems at times, several paces if not a mile or two. Definitely gives you the ability to understand better the idea of "go with the flow" I guess! It will come, it will come! Just tell yourself that and persevere! Vent a little when the down crap hits and then rejoice a couple days or weeks later when things perk up again. Hope you liked roller coaster rides when you were a kid cause this is one hell of a ride and it's for life!
He will be all set once it hits summer. Too hot for clothes then. Think of the positive. You are doing a great job with him. Just one of those times. Better days are ahead for you both.
Let me know how I can help and I am there!
It is hard to see Connor take a step back. But he has taken so many steps forward in the last three months that I am sure he will make it through.
It is really cool to have Connor run up to me to give a hug, or yell "BYE!" at the door everytime I leave the house. Tonight he even called me "Mommy" when I got home. I responded "Um...DADDY!" and he actually laughed and said with a bit of a smirk "Mommy!". Well, I will take it.
Post a Comment