Thursday, April 02, 2009

RX

While teaching my special education music class this past week, one of the aides (a former music teacher himself) directed me to this article in the New York Times about Musical Pharmacology.

Those interested in discovering alternatives to medication and ways to unlock emotional doorways might find this intriguing.

On a personal note, I wish that children with autism could be introduced to music therapies early on. In Arizona, music therapy has been teetering with severe budget cuts-Read about Arizona's Music Therapy Budget Cuts.

I know with my little bunch of students, they respond to music despite themselves at times. I'd love to see a prescribed playlist for special ed music classes!

Autism Awareness Month.....pass it on.

3 comments:

bobbie said...

Thanks for the link.
Isn't it sad that music and art are inevitably the first to suffer budget cuts? I think that ALL children should be exposed to it early on. And yes, I think it should be classical. Even in literature, today our children are shown the Disney versions of the classics. Personally, I think they'd do better with none at all. Disney is cute, but the last few generations seem to know nothing but that version, distorting the classics.

OK. I'll get off my soapbox.

Michelle Quinno said...

Excellent idea, Linda!

Raven said...

Very interesting article on Music as Medicine. Sad that our values as a society are so off-kilter (from my perspective anyway).