Wednesday, April 08, 2009

What's the Deal?

Okay-just a random thought. Why is every single children's shampoo or soap product marketed with fruit scent? Berry Blast Shampoo! Fruit Rush toothpaste! Watermelon hand soap! If it isn't fruit, it's lavender-which I love when not made into a processed fakey and cloying lavender scent. ICK! I do not want my kid smelling like fruit or fake lavender. Nor do I want them (read: Connor) to think that shampoo smells good enough to taste. Bad enough they drink bathwater. (Oh, yes.)

My skin is also staging a rebellion for whatever reason. I have enormous chafing on the skin on the back of my arms and my legs. The weather is dry, so I begin to resemble a scaly molting lizard. Lovely image, right? I have horrendously dry skin and it is becoming more and more sensitive the older I get. I noticed that Connor was getting several light freckles across his nose, so I think I need to be extremely diligent with sunscreen for him and for all of us. Sun protection is something that I had to really change about my lifestyle. I have the Physician's Formula bronzer with SPF (love it) and I also love the spray on sunscreen for me and the boys. I have an aversion to greasy hands from lotion, so the spray means I don't have to actually touch the sunscreen with my hands.

You wonder where my son gets sensory issues from?? It's totally me.

Anyway, on the up-side, a co-worker whom I hadn't seen in a few weeks, stopped to have lunch with me and some teacher friends. She asked how much weight I had lost and complimented me on my appearance, noting that I looked thinner and less tired. (less tired? really?) She then asked what exercise I was doing to lose weight. I have to chuckle here, because I don't do a lot of consistent exercise and haven't even had time for serious yoga sessions, but I did say that I had stopped eating processed sugar and was eating less fast food. (save for the ice cream cake last night and pizza, which I refuse to give up) It's nice to have the encouragement! Unfortunately, my exercise last weekend and this upcoming weekend is weeding the backyard and let me tell you, there is a LOT of exercise to had with that!

Finally on an unrelated note, what is the deal with school talent shows? Almost all of the Arizona schools I have worked in have a talent show of some sort and while I love children and encourage their creativity, every single talent show I have ever witnessed here is the virtual absence of creativity and talent. Lip-synching-not a talent, at least in my book. Singing to a CD with the actual singer singing on the CD-annoying and is just borrowing someone else's talent. Singing a song in a different key than the CD-that might qualify as bitonal intonation talent, or it is just plain bad. 3rd grade girls singing about "Love Story" and how they want to be alone with their prince just makes me ill. 5th grade girls dancing so provocatively that it is disturbing - this is what is considered talent? I had to attend one of my school's talent shows this evening and while perhaps four children (out of 22) displayed some true talented performances, most of it was girls trying to be Hannah Montana knock-offs and/or singing songs waaaaay off-key.

Yes, all of our kids are talented.....but not all of them are talented in a performing-on-stage way.

5 comments:

bobbie said...

I was not aware of the shampoo scent problem,but I sympathize. I can't stand scented anything. Artificial scents make me dizzy and give me a headache. I've been known to get up and move or leave the room if someone wearing perfume sits near me. Maybe a Health Food store would carry some with no scent?

I so agree about kids and so0called talent shows! Let them be kids! They grow up too soon.

Michelle Quinno said...

I agree on the scents. I really like a clean smell or what they sometimes call an ocean smell, but not too strong. I hate florals and really smelly fruit smells. I can't stand being in the elevator with someone who is wearing strong perfume, especially that old floral smell. It gives me a bad headache and blocks my sinuses.

I also agree on the lipsynching. That's talent?!!

Yay for you! Maybe that's what I should do. I have the pregnant look going on and I'm much too old for that.

julie said...

lol on the talent - so true!

Cindy said...

I agree on the talent shows. Lip syncing is not a talent and the only people who made any money with it were Milli Vanilli.

Smelly soap. I am glad my kids still use the baby stuff. Annika and Trevor did get some shampoo that is coconutty enough to smell like sunscreen. Perhaps that is an option. I dont like smelling like a bee attractor.

Raven said...

Those talent shows sound scary. It's disturbing to me the kind of inappropriate stuff some adults think is "cute" to have little girls in particular do...

As for soaps/shampoos, I agree. My favorite soaps are liquid soaps from Dr. Bronner. They are scented but I like them. Dr. Bronner now makes an "all-one" organic lotion for hands & body. Again scented... but it's called Patchouli Lime and isn't cloying... and it's totally not greasy.