Monday, May 04, 2009

Birthday Planning

Ian can be long-winded, even incessant when it comes to planning. He has been carefully crafting his birthday party, which if it goes according to his plan, he should probably plan to invite adults instead of rambunctious 4 and 5 year olds.

Today in the car...

Ian: "So, for my birthday lunch, there are going to be two foods. Just two. Hot dogs or cheese pizza. When I say, the kids will have to sit down and I'll tell them what to do. If they want hot dogs, they have to raise their hand when I say 'hot dog'. If they don't raise their hand when I say, then they don't get a hot dog. If they wanted a hot dog, they should have raised their hand. If they want cheese pizza, they need to raise two hands when I say."

Me: "Umm, really?"

Ian: "And potato chips. There will be two kinds of potato chips-the plain kind and the kind with green stuff. I will decide who get which kind of potato chip. Some will get mixed. If they don't like it, they don't get anything."

Me: "I am pretty sure they can have whatever chips they want. "

Ian: "Well, if they get on line and raise their hand for green chips, they get green chips. They have to raise two hands for mixed chips. If they don't raise their hand, they don't get chips."

Me: (beginning to zone out)

Ian: "There will be lots of games. I'll be in charge of the games. First will be lunch. Then presents will be before cake. Then games."

Me: "Um, thought we were getting the super cool bouncer?"

Ian: "Yes, we'll have the bouncer, but I'll say when we go in the bouncer. The bouncer will be after games. Only kids who are 5 can go in first. Then if you are not five, you have to wait until I say you can go in the bouncer."

This went on for a while more, but honestly, I stopped listening. My son might have a future in party planning for anal-retentive people. Knowing his brother and all of his friends, if they sit to actually listen to him, it's only because their parents have told them too.

He also wants some elaborate Lego AT-AT walker cake. (Cindy, I think this is changing moment to moment) He is also building an AT-AT Lego walker here in my office-possibly for the cake? This construction has been going on for about three days now.

What might also help is if his mother actually would set a date for this little birthday Napoleon and get invitations out already.

6 comments:

Theresa said...

hey can I be in charge of cups and ice??? (i.e can I be Pheobe to Ian's Monica's party planning)

Unknown said...

How funny! I remember finding the Potato Chips with green edges fascinating as a kid too!

Michelle Quinno said...

LOL, that is way too funny! It sounds like he's thought of everything! :-)

Raven said...

Birthday Napolean! Love it! I have been a very bad visitor. Have to go catch up on what I've missed.

Dianne said...

This could be a 'Seinfeld' episode!!

I've mentioned it many times Ian is so much like my son was at his age. Jeffrey had a plan for everything with alternate plans and at least 2 sets of rules for every activity.

Thankfully whem the big event actually came to be he usually relaxed and had fun.

He really just liked to torture me ;)

Cindy said...

Well considering last time he wanted a cake that would be a 3 foot replica of a wampa, it certainly sounds better. I will make him whatever cake he would like...within reason....

He also mentioned a few weeks ago that he wanted to invite around 100 people to his party. I told him you didnt have enough bathrooms for so many people. Then he decided 50 will be ok because that is everyone he knows. He has told me lots of elaborate plans. I am pretty sure the chips with the green stuff has been consistent in all of them.