
Thursday was quite a day....Ian's 5th birthday, Tom's 3*'s birthday, last day of preschool. As my photos on Blogger are a bit out of order (and I fussed for a bit, but I quit trying to get them right) so viewing the photo below-taken the night before in Ian's last moments of being 4.
I spent a good deal of time on Thursday getting ready for a small birthday celebration for the boys, complete with Carvel ice cream cake, spaghetti and homemade meatballs for T and hot dogs for Ian-keeping the tradition of cooking their favorite meal. Ian was a little confused because as you might recall, he has been planning a party for about 50 people with complete directions. I didn't provide cheese pizza, in addition to hot dogs and spaghetti, which I should have known would cause distress. Somehow I figured he would be excited about the party and forget the rules, but this is Ian. So, Cindy-quicker on her feet than me-got him to organize a show of hands for hot dogs or spaghetti and once given control of the situation, he was happy. He even chose spaghetti for himself over hot dogs.
The kids enjoyed playing in the backyard, so much that Ian put off opening presents until he was good and ready to do so. He scored many wonderful Lego sets, which both he and Tom have enjoyed this weekend.
He got a super cool puzzle globe, with plastic interlocking pieces, which we built today. Mom-waaay cool. Of course, I ended up working on most of the puzzle, but he was totally fascinated with it and was very excited to build the stand for it. 
Connor was very excited by the presents, jumping around and pointing out what Ian or Daddy had received with great enthusiasm. Daddy got a cowbell claw (because you always need more cowbell) Star Wars loot, iTunes gift card and a sleeping bag for his camping trip plans.

Ian also got a left-handed mitt and baseballs as a special present from Daddy.
Once the cake was announced, the children, who had been rather calm and collected all evening, became impatient with the promise of cake. We all polished off a rather delicious cake!
Unfortunately, Ian, who had devoured two pieces of cake, overindulged and the blue ice cream cake revisited in the morning all over his bed. A little too much of a good thing. It sounds terrible, but I am actually just considering not having a bigger children's party for him. We went to a party on Wednesday night at one of the pizza/game places and there is no way I could ever have a party for my kids there. It's like one big sensory dysfunction moment for me and for Ian. For now, I like just having our Arizona friends-who double as our family-over rather than do anything more. I imagine next year, once he begins to have friends in school, that we can do something more for him. I don't know, maybe I'll change my mind. We'll see if he mentions party and if not, I am not going to worry about it.
Happy birthday to Thomas and Ian!!
7 comments:
Linda,
Thank you so much for a fun Ian/Tommy birthday! You are awesome!
Happy Birthday, Everyone! Sounds like you found the perfect kind of party.
Hmmm. Reading this and about Ian's revisitation of the birthday stuff (on his bed, this a.m.) reminded me of a birthday party I planned many years ago now for oldest daughter. (She's now 42 hence, the "many years" thing.) Anyway, I don't recall how old she was at the time -at least in her early teens though as the ex and I were divorced -we squeezed all three of my kids, plus about 3 of elder daughter's friends into my little car and headed off for a party at Micky D's only to have my son get sick, in the backseat of the car, midway to the restaurant as we were whizzing down the interstate. I didn't have enough warning or time to pull over before the nausea hit him, so a clean-up ensued while we were pulled off along the berm and along came a state trooper then too who was just checking to see if we were okay. A mess, yes. But after all the ruckus and clean-up was finished, my son was fine and we went on to McDonald's, had our "party" and everyone did enjoy it after all.
Kids, huh? Never know how things will pan out with them. But, I sure wouldn't envy you trying to do a big pizza birthday party for a bunch of kids in the age range of yours!
Peace.
Funny you mention the bigger party. I was actually thinking on Thursday how cool it was that the kids can just hang out and play on someone's birthday and not require all the big fanfare yet - coordinated games, party favors, decorations, entertainment, all that stuff. Though I'm sure as the boys get older that will change.
Speaking of Ian and Legos, Sean and I went to get breakfast yesterday after I picked him up from the airport, and we noticed that the Science Center has some kind of big Lego castle exhibit going on right now.
But you probably know that already ;)
:D
We should probably be glad Ian didn't ask for one of these for his birthday!
Sounds like you already had the perfect party! I love the shots in the semi-darkness with them blowing out the candles. I may have to try that sometimes. It gets boring after 23 & 19 birthdays and the layouts that are in their books.
Belated happy birthday to your guys. Carvel cake! Haven't thought about that in ages. I don't think they have Carvel around here. They do have Cold Stone in Binghamton but so far I haven't been able to con anybody into going there.
Post a Comment