Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Water Damn-age

5:00am. I am dreaming about running water. I awaken slightly to hear water running in my front bathroom. I figure that Ian is up, probably washing hands. I go back to sleep.

5:30am. I awaken again to the sound of running water. My mother brain now thinks that perhaps Connor has decided to get up and play in the sink. Instantly irate because I've only one more hour to sleep anyway, I tromp into the bathroom.

And step in a huge puddle of water.

A small connector on the toilet supply was spraying water all over. We worked to get the bathroom floor dried and Tom realized it was seeping out from our laminate flooring and was working its way into the bedroom carpeting.

He took the day off and with Rick's help, pried off the baseboards and door moldings and took up the flooring in the hall.
When I got home from work, here's how it looked.


The water has gotten into the walls, but not too high. We have six high-powered fans and a dehumidifier drying out the walls. We also had to take off the toe-kick in the bathroom cabinet. It looks like our nasty carpeting is salvageable (seriously, I am ready to just rip out this crappy carpet regardless, but that would put my husband into a tizzy-he has already had quite a day) and we will spend about $1000 to ensure that we don't get mold into our walls.

I am a relatively positive person and I have worked against my natural pessimistic instincts, but I have to be honest. We both are in a state of shock at how many negative and expensive problems we have had in the last forever. It's not like we make a lot of money. It's not like we have a great house or live in a great neighborhood or live too far beyond our means. If we didn't work all five of our jobs, we would be sunk. We work all the time. We are exhausted when we don't work. We are continually paying off some disaster or emergency issue. And for whatever reason, we cannot catch a break.

It really, truly sucks.

5 comments:

julie said...

Oh, that's awful! If you guys need an extra set of hands or anything else, you know where to find me.

JenShoe said...

I am SO sorry! I hate stuff like that, but what can you do? I just found out the compressor in my car is shot and it will cost around $1200 to replace! Gotta love being eight months pregnant, in AZ, in 100 degree weather, with no AC!! I totally feel for you!

Raven said...

Wow! What an awful nightmare! I'm so sorry that has happened. If you are looking for upsides, you have a husband and friend who can help deal with this trauma. And you have those sweet boys. Still, it sucks when every time you think things are evening out, something new comes and thumps you on the head. At risk of sounding airy fairy and annoying... when life was doing that to me big time, I discovered the "thank you for everything, I have no complaints whatsoever" mantra. It really changes things when you give thanks for them even when it seems insane to do so. Maybe there is a gift in this that you just haven't seen yet. Meanwhile, you have my sympathy. Hope you can beat the mold.

Michelle Quinno said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Linda!!! That happened to us once, right after we finished our basement. It really does suck.

Hang in there. Sounds like you're due for some positives! Big {hugs}.

Jeni said...

That's one of those things that happen that make us all feel like for every two steps forward we've taken, we just got knocked back at least five!
Not only is it a mess to get something like that cleaned up, dried up and such, but it is also generally an expense (water damage from bathrooms) that isn't usually covered under home owners insurance too! Now that, to me is really adding insult to injury!
Hope you get it all taken care of though without having to take out the proverbial "small business loan" in the process.