Ian has begun work on his new language....."Anglish" -not Spanish, not English. One day, he stood next to me, spouting out unintelligible words (at least to me) and waiting for the appropriate response.
Tonight at the dinner table, he had a lengthy discussion on and in "Anglish." (Hey, Terri-we had more of Aunt Terri's pasta!)
Ian: "Mommy, samicamacho."
Mommy: "What?"
Ian: "Samicamacho."
Mommy: "Samicamacho?"
Ian: "Yes."
Mommy: "What language are we speaking?"
Ian: "Mommy, this is not English or Spanish. It's Anglish. It's a language I totally make up!"
Mommy: "Fabulous. Can you tell me what samicamacho means?"
Ian: "You have to guess." (Guessing games with Ian last longer than the longest human attention span, so I nip this one in the bud by saying only two guesses)
Mommy: "I don't know." (after two incorrect guesses)
Ian: "Samicamacho."
Connor: "CHO!" He is obviously fluent in Anglish.
Mommy: "Is it a food?"
Ian: "Samicamacho means 'I want water' or 'I want butter.'
Mommy: Ah, it means I want. How do I know if you want water or butter?
Ian: You have to guess.
Mommy: Sigh.
Ian: And "samicamog" means "No, thanks."
Mommy: So, do you want water?
Ian: Samicamog.
Mommy: Butter?
Ian: Samicamog.
Mommy: Okay.
Ian: Samicamacho, Mommy.
Mommy: Samicamacho water or samicamacho butter?
Ian: Samicamog. No, Mommy (throughly annoyed with my inability to figure out what he wants). I want an ICE POP.
Mommy: Audible sigh.
Connor: ICE POP?
It's cute, really. And maybe a little frustrating, considering that the word meaning changes instantly.
We also made some witches hats for tomorrow's pre-Halloween festivities. Witches Hats are cookies from the Betty Crocker Bonus cookbook (what would I do without Betty C.?!) and probably the easiest cookies on the planet. We bought some fudge stripe cookies (nope, did not make them from scratch) and some orange squeezy icing and a bag of chocolate kisses. We put some orange icing on the bottom side of the cookie in the middle, put a little kiss on it and voila-a hat! They are really cute. So, we'll bring them to the karate costume party tomorrow night.
And also some great news for Ian-he had his stripe and belt testing yesterday and passed. He earned another stripe on his yellow belt and he can graduate to the orange belt next week. I didn't bring my camera to show his stripe testing since I had Connor to watch, but we will have belt graduation photos next week. GO IAN!
I am off to rest and relax for a bit as I am working to NOT get sick this week! Tons of kids are out from school this week-so I am off to rest, rest, rest!
7 comments:
A language all his own! How wonderful! But a real puzzle for mom and dad. Apparently Conner understands it.
Do NOT get sick! Take care of yourself.
Wow, congrats to Ian!!! And I love the new language. Kind of a twist on Spanglish?!! LOL Glad Connor gets it.
Boy! Talk about an active imagination! Here it is hard enough to try to figure out communication between us -the grownups, supposedly speaking English, a little one with not too great speaking skills and then, to have another one come along and invent his own language! WOW! I'd be pulling my hair out for sure then! Too cute, too funny too though!
Ha! That is too funny. Annika tried to do that, but she got frustrated when I told her she needed to use English or she wouldn't get what she was asking for.
Wow- put me in in the Betty C cookbook under pastas!
Looking forward to pictures of Ian's belt graduation.
What a coever boy to make up his own language! Very impressive. Congrats to him in advance on his orange belt.
You know he may have a fantastic future in politics. They change the meaning of words all the time :)
Post a Comment