Thursday, October 16, 2008

Let It Be Known

I very rarely post any political views. In watching the debate last night and also paying attention to the special needs arena and how the candidates are speaking to these parents, I have to say this.

Autism is not the only disability out there.

Neither is Down Syndrome.

Children are not the only ones who have disabilities.

I imagine there are parents who are frustrated with autism being the catch-all for disabilities. Yes, the numbers are astronomical and it is a confounding disability. It is getting a lot of media-which is tremendous-but let's not forget those who are struggling in other areas-not just autism.

I certainly hope that ALL children and adults will be represented fairly. Is it great to hear concern and hope to fund autism research?-absolutely.

But speak to all of the parents who need support. And speak about how you are going to help these children when they become adults-long term care, whether they will get support to be productive, have a good job or to channel their talents (and I believe we ALL have talents, every last one of us) positively. What about those who are adults right now? We probably won't hear about that.

I'll be honest that neither candidate has really made a strong case for me as far as special needs go. And because Mrs. Palin has a son with Down Syndrome and a nephew with autism-doesn't qualify her as an advocate in my book. If she was in the trenches, like many special needs parents-having to quit work to give full time care or having to work more jobs to afford therapies or working yourself ragged to get the best for your kids-that would turn my head.


Thanks to Raven for getting me started here! LOL!

4 comments:

bobbie said...

"Children are not the only ones who have disabilities." Amen to that. (And if I may express an opinion here, I know one mother of a special needs child who has some of her own. I don't suppose I should name her.)

There are quite a few issues, this one included, that neither candidate has addressed. I suppose it would be impossible for them to speak of all of them, but one would think they could give it a try. They both speak about health care and about education. It should fit right in there somewhere.

Linda Murphy said...

It is impossible to speak to all the issues and all of the situations we as Americans face. I realize that-but as much as we need to hear about economy and foreign policy, I found the lack of good discussion on education and special needs very unsettling.

And I'll save McCain's voucher system touting for another post.

Raven said...

Well said. Glad I got you started.

Jeni said...

Linda - reading this post makes me all that much prouder to say I know you! You are so right about there being so many other disabling factors -too numerous to name, for sure -beside Autism and Down Syndrome -and one person having a child/niece or nephew with either of those two issues is still one person with a family member who has a disabling factor. Just like autism -meet one child with autism and that's all you've done is meet just one autistic individual as there are so many differences between each one -even more differences I think than possibly the similarities they may share!
Sure doesn't qualify to make that person an expert nor the spokewoman for that disorder either! You rocked big time on this post, my dear! Keep it going.