Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Walking for Autism: One Week To Go


The Walk for Autism will be next Sunday, November 2 here in Tempe, AZ. Our family is participating in the walk-probably bringing our handy-dandy wagon. (thanks to Grandma Sheila!) We set a goal of $1000.00 and have met and surpassed that to reach $1175.00! Again, thank you so much to all our family and friends who have given to this cause at a time where we are all holding on to our wallets for dear life!

For those who want to contribute in the final week-click on this picture for a link to our Team Murphy page. Or contribute a supportive comment-money isn't the only way to give support.

Connor had his special education preschool evaluation today. The evaluators seemed impressed with his progress and he scored very high on most of the tests. Personal/social showed a delay, especially since he found his Lightning McQueen car to play with-which takes precedence over all other activities. The evaluators will schedule a meeting after they determine which school he would probably attend and we all will have a meeting with that teacher to further determine his eligibility. One of the evaluators did say that it would be good for him to have more peer interaction.

As great as preschool would be, it will create a very difficult decision for us in terms of daycare, transportation and all. The program is a half-day program and he can be bused within the district. However, the bus would pick him up after we have to leave to get to work on time and then it would bring him home during lunch. We both work too far away to get him, drop him off for daycare and get back to work. There is no kids care before/after school for preschool kids. Another option would be to find a new daycare-which we have tried unsuccessfully and we are reluctant to make too many changes for them both-but it might come to that. The evaluator suggested taking FMLA leave, but we cannot afford to lose more income. She also said that we could just refuse to put him in preschool until Kindergarten, which I think would also be a mistake.

So, I feel stressed about the possibility of upheaval on our schedules, upheaval in finding a place that both boys will feel loved and accepted like they do now and maintaining Connor's progress going forward. Tom feels that too, but we aren't alone in this type of situation. So, right now, I'm just letting it go until we reach the next meeting. Or at least, I think I will let it go!

6 comments:

Jeni said...

Big congratulations on meeting your walk/donation goals. Isn't that a great feeling when you have that accomplished?

The school thing -boy that is a heck of a dilemma for you and Tom. I never even gave it a thought about how convoluted things could have been here if Mandy and Bill were both working full-time, on a 9-5 type job and if I weren't here with them, with the kids then to get Maya on/off the van for her school days! I think about it frequently though as to how fortunate we are that there is the pre-school program she is in available, for free no less, complete with the door-to-door pick-up service and all that. I know the van driver here for Maya last year, had a little boy in her class who he picked up in the morning at his home and after the class ended, when he brought the kids back, he dropped this little guy off at the Pizza shop where his mother worked. But in that case, she was just lucky that it was a family owned business so she could make her own "rules" there so to speak -a luxury neither you nor Tom would have available to you, I'm sure. I hope for your sake and especially for Connor's, that you are able to find a way to arrange for the schooling for him as I can attest here how beneficial it has been for Maya to be in this program. I truly don't know what we would have done without it the past year and now, for this school year too! And I hate to think how much more difficult the transition into kindergarten for Maya would be without this program in her background.

Dianne said...

A neighbor has a similar problem. She finally found someone in the area who will meet the bus and keep her son until she can pick him up. This babysitter is a gift - she has an autistic granchild so she's "trained" to a large degree and she loves the company of children so she charges virtually nothing.

I learned of this because the Mom asked me if she could put me on the emergency/back-up list in case the babysitter was sick.

I was honored that she trusted me.

I remember when I was a single Mom with a toddler. Man it wasn't/isn't easy.

I wish I had constructive answers. I just have empathy and hugs.

Michelle Quinno said...

Congrats on raising so much, Linda! That's fantastic.

I'm sorry about your dilemma and I wish I had suggestions. It's so hard trying to work and raise a family these days. You have been dealt extra issues as well. Why can't schools make it a little easier on parents by providing transportation or programs for kids whose parents both work?! I'm sure something will work out. I'm glad you're not stressing yet either.

Theresa said...

Congrats on surpassing your goal!
Hopefully next year we will be able to walk with you.

Like the comments above, no advice to offer just hugs, love, and prayers.

bobbie said...

You're doing wonderfully, passing your goal for the walk. It should be a great day.

The day care problem is something else again. It must be a terribly distressing problem for parents these days, having to work two jobs. I am constantly made aware of how fortunate I was to be a stay at home mom. I hope you find a solution soon.

SoCo mom said...

Congratulations on making your goal!

I hear you about preschool throwing your routines up in the air. I took FMLA to be able to take our son to 4 therapy session and be at home for 1 more a week. Eventually I had to resign. So far we're making it.

Good daycare is so hard to find. We were lucky and find a really nice, in-home daycare person who did well with both our kids. She was okay with having the school bus drop him off at her house or his developmental therapist come by and do one or two of his session in her home.

We also used the services of a county organization that provided parenting classes and referrals for daycare places that were licensed and certified by their organization. Good luck -- I am thinking good thoughts for you.