Saturday, October 25, 2008

What the Fruit Fly?

Fruit fly research has been so important in finding the reason for autism. There is work being done on nerve pathways and genetic components that could unlock some of the questions about autism.

Ms. Palin made light of fruit fly research in her policy speech as frivolous earmark spending, in the very same speech where she is claiming to be an advocate for special needs children. Ms. Palin's comments:

Where does a lot of that earmark money end up anyway? […] You’ve heard about some of these pet projects they really don’t make a whole lot of sense and sometimes these dollars go to projects that have little or nothing to do with the public good. Things like fruit fly research in Paris, France. I kid you not.

It is scary when I think I could go out there and make a better and more informed speech than she. I don't care whether you vote McCain or Obama-or whoever. It's not my business-but this kind of ill-informed comment is just infuriating and so careless. I am paying very close attention when it comes to their policies on special needs.

Read more about fruit fly research and autism below. This research has been intriguing to me because I truly believe there is a genetic component to autism. I hope they find it.


Research on fruit flies and autism spectrum disorders

Studies on restless sleep, autism and fruit flies

5 comments:

Jeni said...

And that's just ONE example of how her knowledge base is extremely limited -as well as that experience aspect they are always touting about here being so loaded up with! BAH!

WH said...

An awful comment, betraying ignorance. Thanks for posting this.

Dianne said...

worst than Palin's ignorance is the fact that she says it all so confidently - with that folksy presentation that some people believe as genuine

and once she mentioned France - and I'm sure she snickered as she said it then her "base" felt all the more OK for agreeing with her.

sad and dangerous

Alec Baldwin called her a disease - and I agree.

bobbie said...

The woman is truly frightening. As Dianne said, she is so very confident in her ignorance. People tend to believe what is said when it is said so confidently. And she always smiles while making these comments and sounds so cheerful about it. Please God, she will never "lead" this nation.

Michelle Quinno said...

Very interesting. I have never heard of this research. I will check it out. Thanks for posting!