
Well, I am still a post behind and I figured I'd catch up tonight. But once I started reviewing all of my photos, the post turned into an hour choosing photos and then actually uploading and writing. So, I remain a post behind. Tomorrow's another day. My thankful post tonight is for my brother-in-law, Michael. Michael is the oldest of the four Murphy siblings, a role that he is definitely cut out for. No wonder he gets along so well with my oldest son, Ian.
I met Michael and Terri on the night before they got married, after dating Thomas for only a month or more. Thomas invited me to the wedding, which was great fun. Soon after, they moved from Delaware to California, while Tom and I remained in New York. I found that I didn't know either of them very well and I always felt pretty goofy around them. Michael was always really nice, but I just didn't have the time to get to know him.
After we decided to move to Phoenix, Michael and Terri came out to help us look for apartments and give us pointers on getting settled in a new place. As it turned out, the best part of moving to the West Coast was the opportunity to become friends and not just relatives with both Mike and Terri. We have spent either Thanksgiving or Christmas or both with them, plus we now make a summer pilgrimage to visit them once school is done. Most visits include game night and movie night.
Michael is a person who likes to be busy. He likes being outdoors and he likes being physically active. Secretly, I think he also likes relaxing, but not quite as much as we do! Thomas gifted him with one of the most creative birthday ideas yet-going on three different hikes-epic, heroic and legendary. That has become a solid inside joke now, but they actually did hike up Mt. Baldy together this year. If I am not mistaken, there are two more to go. It was the perfect gift because neither Michael nor Terri like a lot of "stuff."
Michael has participated in several triathlons, a marathon here in Phoenix, skydiving, hiking, sailing and the list probably goes on for miles. My husband always says that he feels more active around Michael, more inspired and just a better person in general. I know that is true. Plus, Michael gets my little ones active too...whether it's a walk to the park, frisbee, flying airplanes, taking out the garbage-he gets them motivated to be physically active.
Then there is his Cool Uncle Mike status. Ian adores his Uncle Mike. Connor does too. Some Ian quotes:"My friend, Uncle Mike.." from a conversation on the phone with Aunt Terri. She might remember more of how it went, but it was cute.
"Uncle Mike's house is blue. " For some reason, this is important information that Ian feels compelled to share often.
"Uncle Mike's best friend is Santa."
Me: "Uncle Mike and Aunt Terri are visiting next week."
Ian: "Uncle Mike?!?!?! I love Uncle Mike!" That was from tonight before bedtime. Another reason I had to write about Cool Uncle Mike.
Michael also has helped me to take much better photographs, even though he loves landscapes and I love people photos. He always leans over and says, "Now, what do you think about that shot?" I actually get nervous because I don't want to say the wrong answer (I know, dork). He is a tough critic, because it is not very often that he will say that he actually likes the picture. But, I wait for those moments because they are honest. I asked him to bring his specky digital SLR camera for this past weekend's wedding and he agreed. I ended up taking 222 photos on Saturday alone. He helped a bit here and there and talked pointers if needed. He then told me that he was allowing me (ME!?!) to borrow his camera until Thanksgiving on the condition that there better be some really great pictures. Of course, I constantly joke about switching his camera with mine, but this was quite a surprise. He trusts me with his camera, which again, if I could surgically attach it to my hand, I would. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Michael is also a list addict. We actually discussed the finer points of making lists one day. Do you cross off the item when you are done? I personally create a checkbox, but I think he crosses off. Beware on visits to see Michael (and apparently Terri has caught the list making fever, judging from her list for our girls weekend) because he always has a list going. Sometimes there is a list of all the possible things we could do while in LA. Sometimes the list is an actual itinerary. 

As you can see, I had a hard time selecting photos, so I put all of my favorites in. Sorry Michael, it's probably overkill. Michael has also helped with several projects in our house, like replacing the sink faucets, pulling up the old carpet, organizing the garage. I think organizing the garage was something he actually liked doing. Too bad we have undone all of his work.
I am grateful toes to nose that Michael has become such a great friend over the last six years. He is just a hop, skip and a six-hour drive away and I love that, for all of us, but especially for Tom and the boys. Michael brings out all the very best in all of us.
7 comments:
Uncle Mike seems like he's SO good with the kids! And I know he has a really nice wife! ;-)
Your posts are so thoughtful!
Linda, what a sweet post about Michael. I heartily second it. He's so modest, so he never toots his own horn about all of the amazing things he does for all his family members. He and Terri even act like you are doing THEM a favor! But they are two of the most generous and thoughtful people I know. Uncle Mike deserves all the accolades and more. I certainly couldn't ask for a better brother. I'm the luckiest person it the world - I have three fantastic brothers that I like and respect. Thanks for posting to an unsung VSP - "Very Special Guy"!!!! To quote Ian: "I LOVE Uncle Mike!!"
From your descriptions there of "Uncle Mike" it's more than obvious exactly why he should have the fan club he has obviously acquired! Really great post and no, in my opinion, not overkill on the photos either. I very much enjoyed your words and pictures.
Mike, you are awesome. We really appreciate you and Terri!
I still owe you a "Legendary" and "Heroic" hike.
Well, Michael you're not going to get a big head now are you? Mom's love their kids but don't alway LIKE them. I can truly say I LIKE YOU!! You and
Terri are both very caring , giving people. The only problem is that you are on the West Coast and I'm on the East Coast, I treasure the time we have together. You were always special!!!!! (Remember, no big head)
Love
Mom
Great post- I mostly agree :), however you forgot about his best quality his blue eyes & cute butt!
Linda,
thank you for all the nice comments. I'm thankfull we've had a chance to get to know each other better and I really enjoy spending time with you and the boys.
I think you are pretty terrific
Post a Comment