Sunday, November 18, 2007

Thankful Post 18



Wait a second, am I catching up? I have 19 minutes to get this in!

Julie and I were at the Mesa Arts Center yesterday afternoon for the Holiday Art and Music Festival. I lugged (seriously, this is one heavy camera!) Michael's Digital Rebel with me and Julie had her Lumix in tow. We walked a bit, looking for shots. Julie has a eye for things I don't even see, such as lichen in the republic water garden (see her blog for the photos!). Me, I am not quite sure what looks good if it isn't an actual person. So my thanks to Julie for a fun afternoon of new perspectives.

Here's what I came up with: (I know Michael is waiting to see "great pictures", I don't know that these fit the bill)

This was a metalsmith booth, where we watched the artist make a door knocker. You might have to enlarge the photo, but I tried to get the heat waves from the oven which distort the air above it. I can see the waves in the larger version, so I felt pretty happy with that.

This is a overhead part of a covered walkway. It was fun capturing people in the mirrors.

From another angle. I liked the lattice effect.

My pictures (if I do say so myself) have improved over the last year or so. I still don't know how to be unobtrusive around people, even though I love to take candids. I try to recall the technical jargon, but I don't always. I love photography magazines, but I really just look at the pictures. I have a lot of fun and that is what counts. Although a few of my photos have popped up here and there, which makes me smile if others are happy with my renditions.

This is a thanks to all of my friends who teach me something new about photography, either through their insightful photos, leads to great photography blogs and websites and best of all, their gentle guidance.







7 comments:

Michelle Quinno said...

Your photos are terrific! Love that last one. So cool!

Minnesotablue said...

Your photos are great. What fun it must be. My oldest daughter did photography for several years and specialized in black and white. I have many photos on my walls and it is so fun knowing my daughter was responsible for them.

Theresa said...

Hey Linda,you might just have to bring back the list of things to photograph next month :)

I like the last one too, although liked it even more after you explained you were capturing people in the mirrors.

3 (or 2 days-depends how you count) til I see you!!!! yeah can't wait!

julie said...

Those turned out great! I love the mirror shots; I don't think I got any of the people in mine. The heat waves from the forge came out nicely, too. Also, thanks for pointing out some cool shots that I would have missed (like the cactus between the red glass panels - I'll put up one of those later this week). Taking pictures is way more fun with a partner :)

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

I like the shapes and colors in these photos. It's fun to look for everday items that can be artistic with the right framing.

Linda Murphy said...

Yep, I need to bring back the photo list and I think I need to enlist Julie to do this with me! I pretty much slacked off and hoped no one would notice.

Aunt Sooooz said...

Hey, these pictures are very cool! I especially liked the ones that were the latticework overhead. They were almost abstract and very arty. Keep exploring!!