
I decided to participate in writing a post each day leading up to Thanksgiving to reflect on being thankful. Naturally, I am behind a day, so I have to combine two posts in one. Because this person is so deep in my soul, I could probably write about him in all of my posts this month.
It is funny that much of the time in college, I drove Thomas home on 6 hour car trips, worked on class projects, but for a good year or more, neither of us realized that we were looking at our future spouse, that this would be the person we would love for the rest of our life. I am grateful for how life brought us together and wonder if anything was done the slightest bit differently, if we would both be on very different paths.
He was and has always been such a different person from me. More outgoing, more edgy, more talkative. It seemed like he never stood still.
Maybe he doesn't always realize his talents and skills. A solid musician, fun to watch and never bored with a crazy schedule of concerts, rehearsals and practice. He seems to actually work better with a random schedule that presents different and new challenges, as opposed to that 9-5 job. Of course, 9-5 pays the bills every month and that is some of why he does teach music instead of performing. I see greater things in him, but I know that he has to feel comfortable in his shoes.
Thomas exceeded my expectations of what he would be like as a father. I knew he would be hands on-at the park, on the floor, at every event he could get to-but he tries to teach in every situation, he is a united front in discipline, he is consistent and fair with both boys. He is human, frustrated like any parent would be at times. But he is always there for the boys and me, doing the best that he can personally do.
Sometimes it's hard to find us in a family of four. We are embedded in being parents and tethered to work duties, that the role of couple can get lost in the shuffle. Marriage is really hard work and it gets more difficult with each child. (another reason to stop at two!)
We have a lot of terrific memories of dating (long distance for three years!) and we have both grown and learned a tremendous amount about ourselves as we look back. The truth is that I would not be the person I am without him. He might not be the same without me either. He works a million jobs to keep us going. He scrambles to make doctor appointments and Ian's games. Sometimes the marimba gathers more dust than he would like. Sometimes he does the chores I ask, even though he really wants to relax. He is very giving of his time and of himself when he can. I am thankful everyday for my loving husband and friend.
5 comments:
I really like your first "thankful" topic. I too am thankful for Thomas, he is a very special man. He is a great father, husband, son and a very gifted musician. I am also grateful that he met you and brought you into our family. You are a traffic Mom, Wife and a really great daughter in law. Not only do I love you both but really like you as people.
Sending Hugs to both.
I am very thankful to have a wonderful wife like you! You are are great Mom, a lot of fun to be around and a truly special person.
Sounds like the two of you were meant for each other!
That is so sweet! You two make a nice couple!! Love the photos.
Love the picture of thomas with the two boys. Michael and I always think you two balance each other out very well. Where I do agree with the fact thomas is talkative-not sure I agree with the edgey part :)
Post a Comment