Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Thankful Post 6

Kristen is officially joining the Murphy family this coming Saturday by marrying my brother-in-law Chris. She not only joins the Murphy clan, but will join a more exclusive group of Murphy sister-in-laws and we all welcome her with open arms.

I met Kristen a few summers ago, visiting at Michael and Terri's house in CA. She was quieter compared to the boisterous Murphys, but then it can be difficult to get a word in edgewise with them. We got the call from my mother-in-law Sheila "not to scare her off". I figured I would not joke too much about Chris-he and I could cut on each other all day. We were all on our best behavior for that trip.

This summer we had a chance to spend some quality time getting to know each other in New York. The sister-in-laws, along with our matriarch took Kristen for lunch, shopping and a spa day to celebrate her engagement.

I also got to practice taking some photos of Chris and Kristen at a wedding we attended. (Note-I cropped this picture so as not to include the trash can that kept appearing in every photo!)
Kristen has been in touch over email, updating me on the wedding plans, sending photos and keeping me in the loop. She is a terrific e-mailer, I always learn something new about her. Kristen also has demonstrated unparalleled organization with this wedding. She had her ducks in a row from day one and it will be exciting to see all of their planning come to fruition this weekend.
I feel like I get the most benefit from this little sister-in-law clique. As an only child, I wanted a sibling so much that I made up my own. (another blog story for another day) Now, I have two sister-in-laws who have made my childhood wish come true. On Saturday, I get to add another! Hooray!

I am thankful for Kristen and our blossoming friendship. Those Murphy boys really know how to pick 'em!

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Yeah us!!!! And hey great minds think alike huh? posting about Kristen the same day:)

Although I am excited for them, I am more excited to see you guys-can't wait- are you packed yet???

...and thanks for the kind words about all you sister-in-laws---you know right back at you.

However I posted that I didn't have any pictures of my close to my heaviest weight (since I am very fast on the delete button-something that irrates Michael since he just looking at the competsition.), but oh my that stomache of mine is a bulging!!!

Jeni said...

You sound so much like me! I too was an only child - asked my mother (and Santa too) for a brother or a sister year after year after YEAR till I finally figured the truth out about Santa -and the birds and the bees -realized it was the "impossible dream" so I ended up wanting a large family -definitely did NOT want to raise another "lonely only" and I also wanted who ever I married to be part of a large family so our kids would have lots of aunts/uncle/cousins - as I had been blessed with. Well, I ended up with three children - which considering the marriage tanked, is probably a blessing we only had three. My ex though was one of eight -and out of all his siblings and the cousins my kids do have there, they only know one uncle and his children =and of his kids, they really only know the three oldest from his first marriage -probably because they are closer to mine age-wise. The other three are from about 10 years to 16 now -kind of hard for them to pal around with people in their early 30's there. My kids have never even MET their other first cousins, no virtually nothing either of their dad's ancestry either and I find that very sad for them as I knew my Mom's family very well and still appreciate having grown up around her aunts/uncles and cousins as well as my own. Great thing to be thankful for though - a wonderful, loving, fun-to-be-with family connection. (I am still close though to my ex-s brother who lives near here and with his first wife too though.)

Michelle Quinno said...

So nice! You're lucky to have such great SIL's!

Thomas said...

Dear Linda,

You are right about us Murphy Boys sure picking awesome women!

I picked you!

Theresa said...

Note to Thomas- if I am recalling a story that I heard many times correctly- I do believe it was Linda that picked you- as you were clueless about how much she liked you :)