Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Croupy Little C

This normally raspy-toned boy was sounding a bit more scratchy yesterday morning with a nice cough in the morning. No fever and happy, playful spirit-we didn't think much on it. When I picked him up yesterday, he was feverish and asleep. We canceled development therapy and he perked up to play Cars cars with Ian.

When I returned from my board meeting, Tom had administered some Tylenol and we settled in to relax. At 11:30pm, Connor was coughing and wheezing so much, that we did the steamy shower treatment, took him out in the cold air and finally tried the nebulizer. He was running a 102 temp and we put in bed with us but he sounded horrendous. Finally at 1:30am, I bundled him up and took him the ER.

He was seen right away, along with the other five children with croup. The nurse sat with him for awhile to see if he needed another breathing treatment, but they didn't give him one. Instead, they gave him some Motrin followed by a steroid to help him stop coughing. He asked for "Mommy's car" the whole time, but didn't fuss or cry. At home, we put him back in our bed and got about three hours of sleep.

Today, he is pale (which for an Irish boy is rather ghostly!) and a bit emotional. He also smacked his lip with one of his cars, so anytime he eats, he cries.

Ian got through about 2/3 of his karate class before he said he had a headache and wanted to sit down for a bit. Which is unusual, because he was excited for class and he was having a good time. So, wondering if we are in for round 2.

Some happy news so you don't think I am a total bummer on every post lately.....the district invited me to be recognized at the district teacher recognition night for my Working Parent award-very exciting, except that Tom has to work, so I don't have any cheerleaders in the audience, but that's okay. I also got my teaching observation back and my principal is rating me as distinguished (over proficient, basic and find another job). So, that is pretty nice!

Ian was featured in a promo for the martial arts studio and it is awesome. I'll post more when I figure out how to get that onto the blog.

The chorale had a great weekend of performances and I have been singing their gospel song for the last several days-I need to get it uploaded soon, seeing as how I don't really know the words and continue to sing the same phrase over and over.

So, this week will be about designing Ian's Halloween costume and getting Connor's costume taken up to the right length. It should be fun and Julie scored us a huge cardboard box for Ian's costume, so I am excited to get going.

Off to fix the "owies" as they seem to be multiplying.......

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Since I was privee to the preview of the martial arts promo, let me add my -its awesome vote too:)

Hope little C gets better.

julie said...

"Oh tell me who is that writing?
John, the Revelator..."


I hope Connor is feeling better soon!

Jeni said...

Doesn't it just make you want to sit down and cry, right along with 'em when they get sick like that? We all know how much it hurts to cough so hard, have a sore, raspy throat -whole nine yards -and to see a little one suffering from that junk -especially when they really can't comprehend what will eventually help them and fight the meds too. Makes for everyone in the family feeling pretty doggone miserable. Hope he gets back on track and heals quickly.
Congrats on the teaching awards though -couldn't happen to a nicer person ya know!

Michelle Quinno said...

Poor little Connor! I hope he improves fast and I hope Ian didn't get it.

Yay for you! That's fantastic, you distinguished teacher, you! That is very impressive. I'm sure you deserve it.

Dianne said...

Feel better Connor and don't get sick Ian!!

You are distinguished!!

I'll be your cheerleader in spirit.