Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thankful Post 11


I'm going to say it. I am thankful for the warm weather. Even though I have complained about it for over a month now. Even though it should not be 86 degrees in November.

The reason I love Phoenix is warmth. Not in a scorching way, but in a not having to wear my jacket way. After being in rainy, damp, cold New York all weekend, walking off the plane into beautiful, cloudy blue skies with the temps in the low 80's was delightful. My East Coast peeps might not want to hear that brutal truth, but Phoenix keeps me warm. Warm keeps me very content.

My mom and I suffer from a peculiar syndrome called Reynaud's syndrome, where your toes and fingers turn white in cold weather and can be extremely painful. To show how much I feel the cold, I normally begin wearing gloves when the weather dips into the 40's and 50's. My favorite pair of gloves are the ones that I caught while lining up for the bus for the New York Marathon in 1998. I still have them and wear them. Yes, even in Phoenix winters. These little black gloves survived two trips to Ecuador, a marathon, one lived in my suitcase for at least a year or more, but they keep on keeping on. Happy 10 year anniversary, sweet little gloves!

Sure, Phoenix is ridiculously hot in the summer. The winters are the reason to be here. So, blessed Phoenix warm weather, I am thankful for you!

3 comments:

Jeni said...

Granted, I'm an east coast person and yes, I do grump and grumble a lot during the winter about how much I absolutely hate snow, ice, freezing rain, cold, cold temps and all that. However, it is highly unlikely I'll ever leave my humble abode for sunny skies and warmth. But if I were to do that, Phoenix is where I would go! I worked there for two months -July and again in October of 1970 -and yes, it was HOT, really, REALLY HOT in July, true enough but October was beautiful, just beautiful My ex lives in Laughlin, NV now because the cold temps really seep into the bones in his back and give him fits but one of the things he dearly loves to do is watch the weather reports in the winter, for the temps from this area and the, he will call and tell us how nice and warm it is there that day and he's outside working, wearing Bermuda shorts, etc. However, there was one day we got to call him and rag him because it was in the 70's here and only in the high 40's to low 50's there! I loved being able to gloat to him over that ONE TIME! But, better one than none too -right?

Michelle Quinno said...

Oh nice! I'd love to be there right now. I probably would hate your summers though. I went to Phoenix once on a business trip in November and loved the warmth.

Theresa said...

Yes, when I got off the plane this weekend, and I was driving in rain, I thought to myself- not sure I'll ever be moving back here.

And of course we love wearing our shorts in the winter time!!!