Sunday, June 08, 2008

Goodbye Infancy, Hello Toddlerdom!

This is the last official step into toddlerhood from infancy. The changing of the crib. After watching Connor swing his leg on top of the crib rails, wrap his arms around the sides of the crib and almost grasping freedom made us think that we might want to convert the crib before his hard-earned freedom also earns him medical attention.

Yesterday afternoon, we worked on the crib while Connor started to peter out in the living room, falling asleep on the floor. He was gently escorted to his new digs and we all took some time to commemorate the occasion, as you will see.

Of course, you expect me to take photos, but Ian grabbed his camera and also captured his brother's graduation.

Connor woke later and didn't seem to acknowledge the new status, but in the middle of the night, I discovered him on the floor at one point. In the morning, he didn't get out of bed, but he cried a good deal until I came and got him.

Tonight's bedtime events were more dramatic. First, Ian crying because Tom went out to the bookstore. Then, Connor sat half on and half off his bed, looking at me to leave so he could get on with his mischievous ways. Ian then tried to show him how to settle down and go to sleep, so Connor got back in his bed and pretended to sleep. I finally left and for awhile I heard a lot of banter, jumping and cacophony going on.

Then, this:

"Mommy?" (from the bedroom door)

"Yes, Ian?" (in the kitchen doing dishes)

"Connor's out of his bed and he's making a lot of noise."

"Tell him to get in bed and go night-night."

"I did, but he just keeps getting up and bothering me." (interesting since Connor doesn't seem to be the only culprit here)

"Maybe show him what it looks like to go to sleep in your bed and he'll copy you."

"Okay."

"Connor, go to bed. Night-night."

Connor speak-not exactly intelligible yet

"Connnnnnor, get in bed!"

Crying commences.

"CONNNNNOR!"

Crying continues.

"Mommy?"


Tom is back by now, because he got to the bookstore at 8:53pm and they close at 9:00pm (he didn't catch a break today) and we check on Connor, who is in his bed, crying, but probably about to fall asleep. Ian, ever dutiful and righteous is also in his bed, trying to be a good example. So far, it's better than I expected.

And the added bonus of Ian actually trying to be mindful and suddenly abandoning the procrastination techniques (I am sure they will be back) was quite a nice change of pace.

Thinking about all of the excitement a few short years (moments?) ago when we set up the crib before any boys were echoing our halls, it seems like a chapter is closing in my life. After Connor, I decided that I would not have any more children and I feel secure and peaceful in that decision. As I sat in a baby shower today, the proud grandmother told me about her three granddaughters-one toddler and two making their arrival very soon. I said, "Three girls, huh?" and she beamed. Then she told me that she also had a grandson who was ten and lived out of state. We chuckled about him for a second and I wondered aloud how it must be to compete with three new babies as a seasoned grandson. She said being out of state, he didn't seem to be too troubled. And then I thought to myself, someday my children will be ten. And they will not be as cute and disarming as they are now. (admit it, they won't!) Why that thought popped in, I don't know. Awhile later, I saw the mountains of new diapers, the beautiful girl clothes and breathed a sigh of relief.

I am done.

Now, I get to look forward to camping with the boys. I look forward to doing homework with them and I love taking Ian to school this summer. I look forward to painting their room in boy colors and putting up planets and stars and spaceships. And I will be looking forward to age ten too with all of its new charm. Life has a lot of tremendous offerings in store.

And when boys become men, I wonder if I will ever truly recall Saturday, June 7, 2008 as our graduation from babyhood. I suspect that my written words may be immortalized in some way, but the imprint on my heart will be etched deeply, wistfully, happily.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

You will recall! vividly and deeply. my son is 35 and as I read this I was taken back to his first "big boy bed" - I saw it all - spiderman sheets, his baby pillow (he refused to give it up) and his big boy pillow which he slept on top of!

I remember how he always pulled the sheets off the mattress, how he took all his toys to bed with him - once he woke up with hot wheel cars stuck to him LOL

I love Connor sleeping with his butt in the air, Jeffrey did the same thing.

Raven said...

Beautiful. I don't have my own kids, but it still astonishes me some days that Matt and Cindy and Diana aren't still toddlers or babies in arms. That said, every age has its wonders and the evolution of this small miraculous beings into adult miraculous beings is a continuing miracle. I love the picture of Ian with his camera. So sweet.

Unknown said...

Linda: I am the youngest of 4. But you have to remember that families were bigger in the 60's and 70's. Two is a fine number. Also, Tom and I shared the same experience at the same hour with a certain bookstore. I knew that I had to get to be there on time. Then at 9:55 they were already closed. Last of all: Your boys have a sense of humor!!!! :D)!

Cindy said...

Ian and Connor will always be cute little boys to me, even when they have kids of their own.

Aunt Sooooz said...

How does the time go so fast?! I think the "butt up in the air" is a universal kid sleeping pose. I remember sleeping like that myself..... though it was a looong time ago!! I love that Ian grabbed his camera! Now where did he pick that up?!